Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evohome Hot water problems

Automated Home Ninja

Think mine is 55oc with a dif of 7oc with a 2 min overrun. Usually ends up at 56/57then. Think the default is 55 not 60.

I was going suggest have you tried putting the Panel on its stand and placing nearer the sensor? Rather than just leaving where you usually leave it...might eliminate any interference issues if that is the problem.

Automated Home Legend

Yeah I've tried it on a stand closer to the boiler closet. It's not a signal strength or interference issue. No other devices on the system are affected including those in the same closet.

Automated Home Ninja

Have you ever considered it could be the physical sensor thatís causing the issue (the bit that straps to the tank) resistance dropping out causing the CS92A not to behave

My system I use the probe, whereas yours Iím assuming you use the strap on sensor being a gravity fed system.

Automated Home Legend

mine used to be 60c and 10, recently I moved it to 55 and 10, to do some testing. No issues with both settings.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Just thought of something.

1) Does anyone remember for certain what the default hot water set point and differential is in the Evotouch on a factory reset controller when you first add hot water control ?
    2) Those who say they have little to no problems with their hot water sensor - what is your hot water set point and differential ? Did you leave it on the defaults or customise it ?
    3) Those who do have similar problems to me, what hot water set point and differential do you use ?

I'll go first - I have mine set to 54C and a 5 degree differential. I believe the default is a 10C differential and approx 60C for the set point...
    Mine is set to 55C and 10 degree differential and 10 minute overrun. I think the 10 degree differential and 10 minute overrun may be the default settings. I set my temperature at 55c as a compromise between 50c as being the border line for bug killing and 60c being too hot. I donít have problems other the occasional message the sensor has lost contact. Not very often at that and I ignore it.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Mine is set to 55C and 10 degree differential and 10 minute overrun. I think the 10 degree differential and 10 minute overrun may be the default settings. I set my temperature at 55c as a compromise between 50c as being the border line for bug killing and 60c being too hot. I don’t have problems other the occasional message the sensor has lost contact. Not very often at that and I ignore it.
    The default hot water overrun is 0 minutes and differential is 10, it's just the set point I couldn't remember.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Have you ever considered it could be the physical sensor that’s causing the issue (the bit that straps to the tank) resistance dropping out causing the CS92A not to behave

My system I use the probe, whereas yours I’m assuming you use the strap on sensor being a gravity fed system.
    Yes I use the strap on sensor on a vented cylinder. If it was faulty it means both have been faulty as the sensor was also replaced when the first CS92A was replaced under warranty so I think that's unlikely.

When I moved the CS92A back to its old location yesterday I had to disconnect and reconnect the wires to the rear plate so they have been re-terminated in the process, (and the previous connection of the wires into the terminal blocks was good) but problems persist.

While it's a theoretical possibility I don't think the sensor or sensor connection is the problem, unless the faulty connection is one of the pins that goes between the terminal block on the back plate and the front half where the PCB is. That is certainly a possibility, and would tie in with the poor connection theory. I have not deliberately disconnected the sensor to see how the system reacts - but I will when I do some testing soon.

I plan to take apart the CS92 and carefully inspect all the contacts - both battery contacts on the rear of the PCB and the pins that connect front and rear halves together, however I'm waiting for my NanoCUL to arrive first to try to do some wireless traffic capture while the sensor is misbehaving just in case tweaking the contacts seems to fix the issue. That way I have some before and after captures, and I can see exactly what the sensor does or does not send when the sensor is disconnected or when it doesn't seem to be updating.

Automated Home Legend

maybe a question to ask and get feedback on, is how many are using the Strap On sensor and having issues. I am using the insertion sensor and it's been fine. I used to get the occasional comms lost message but even that hasn't occurred for a while. another theory, I use Domoticz which I know is constantly polling the controller for DHW state and temperature. Could that in some way be forcing the CS92A to stay in touch better than normal?

Automated Home Jr Member

It could be the temperature sensor/probe itself i.e. the temp sensor that connects by wire to the CS92A? My probe was reading 66 degrees C 4 months after a new install.

There has been no further rogue readings since it was replaced.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    maybe a question to ask and get feedback on, is how many are using the Strap On sensor and having issues. I am using the insertion sensor and it's been fine. I used to get the occasional comms lost message but even that hasn't occurred for a while. another theory, I use Domoticz which I know is constantly polling the controller for DHW state and temperature. Could that in some way be forcing the CS92A to stay in touch better than normal?
    I'm using the insertion sensor and have the same issues described here. In fact, as advised by Honeywell, I have also put in thermal paste into my cylinder's insertion point, to aid thermal conductivity. This did not help the frequency of messages being sent (or lack thereof!), but when values are sent, they are much closer to the digital thermostat readout on my cylinder.

Also when I received my replacment CS92A from Honeywell, I also changed the sensor just in case.

I'm also on 55 degrees/10 degree differential at the moment, though have tried various values in trying to find a solution.