• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

Maybe they should rename it Evohope lol

FWIW I've had my hot water kit installed for about a month now and not had any issues, it's running on the batteries it was supplied with. Must admit it's quite cool being able to see the temperature displayed on the evotouch panel.

Comment

• M J
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
      Maybe they should rename it Evohope lol

FWIW I've had my hot water kit installed for about a month now and not had any issues, it's running on the batteries it was supplied with. Must admit it's quite cool being able to see the temperature displayed on the evotouch panel.
      Thanks that is an attraction for me and the ability to retire some time controllers that are in a bad position for me to check.

The Ability to have it on one display and see it from abroad (when I used to go abroad, will those days return....)

Location of BDR91.jpg

I am hoping their will be minimal comms issues as there will be no wall between the EvoHome Controller and the BDR91 for the valve and the CS92 which will be above the controller as shown in image spaced 30cm apart from the original BDR91 installed when I had the Central Heating system set up...

My plumber who installed the system in Sept 2018 was dead set against the Hot Water being done as he had lots of problems with the CS92 kit and another client.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Simon has learnt to live with the quirkiness of the system. He hasn't thrown his system away. We all use it quite actively. And even though it's not perfect, it's still probably the best smart heating system out there.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          Simon has learnt to live with the quirkiness of the system. He hasn't thrown his system away. We all use it quite actively. And even though it's not perfect, it's still probably the best smart heating system out there.
          My hot water sensor went in February last when I replaced my boiler with a combi. I now don’t get any faults appearing in the log. In the past they were a regular occurrence and always the hot water sensor losing contact. Others have expounded at length here on the reasons for this and the bug in the sensor. However, despite the fairly regular fault I used to get, the system always worked just fine.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Believe it or not the bug is in the Controller and not the sensor. It's caused by the Controller missing the infrequent sensor message when the temp of the water is not changing rapidly.
            People think it's the sensor because when you reboot the sensor the errors disappear. What actually happens is that when you reboot the sensor, it sends a few messages in quick succession which makes the Controller happy.

Comment

• CT1
              Automated Home Guru
              • Apr 2016

I find the comms failures irritating rather than a deal breaker and would still install the HW control if I was starting again.

Comment

• djb61
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2019

I have had my Evohome installed since October 2019 including HW control and in that time I can't recall ever having a comms error due to the HW sensor, so it isn't a guaranteed problem to have.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

It all depends how you have your HW schedule set. If the HW temperature is constantly changing it causes the sensor to send our messages more frequently, which works fine for the Controller.

Comment

• M J
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jul 2021

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                    It all depends how you have your HW schedule set. If the HW temperature is constantly changing it causes the sensor to send our messages more frequently, which works fine for the Controller.
                    With my current setup I have the boiler fire up three times a day, morning noon and early evening to make sure I have hot water for the day. Retired so at home mostly now...

What sort of schedule do you run? Or others?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

If you have HW scheduled to come on that frequently you might never see the notorious comms failure error. Go for it. I have Solar panels, so it's not unusual for my HW to not come on for several months during the warmer period.

Comment

• djb61
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by M J View Post
                        With my current setup I have the boiler fire up three times a day, morning noon and early evening to make sure I have hot water for the day. Retired so at home mostly now...

What sort of schedule do you run? Or others?
                        This is basically the schedule I have and as in my previous post I do not suffer from the comms error message for my HW sensor.

Comment

• M J
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jul 2021

Thanks for the updates from folks, just spoken to plumber and will get the work done and will see how it goes.

I have been manually (just switching on elec heating element) trying to use our solar to heat the water tank but that does not seem to have stopped the boiler from coming on at 7pm when the tank should be at temp, so by getting this done I can see what the actual water temp is and if the heating element works.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

For the record I still get "comms errors" from the hot water sensor. Nothing I do will fix it. I have just learnt to live with it because I have better things to do with my time.

From sniffing wireless traffic it seems to be caused by a combination of the CS92A not sending temperature updates frequently enough when outside the differential band (and/or when the temperature is steady) combined with the Evotouch controller not receiving transmissions from CS92A's reliably when a 3rd party device is receiving the "missing" transmissions ok.

Either a problem with the radio receiver (insensitive and/or timing errors affecting decoding) and/or a firmware bug.

Defective by design unfortunately so unless Honeywell release new hardware revisions the hot water sensor will never be completely reliable.

When I eventually replace my ancient boiler I'll probably go with a combi (as we have an electric shower and only two hot taps) and that will solve the problem once and for all!

Comment

• M J
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jul 2021

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                              For the record I still get "comms errors" from the hot water sensor. Nothing I do will fix it. I have just learnt to live with it because I have better things to do with my time.

From sniffing wireless traffic it seems to be caused by a combination of the CS92A not sending temperature updates frequently enough when outside the differential band (and/or when the temperature is steady) combined with the Evotouch controller not receiving transmissions from CS92A's reliably when a 3rd party device is receiving the "missing" transmissions ok.

Either a problem with the radio receiver (insensitive and/or timing errors affecting decoding) and/or a firmware bug.

Defective by design unfortunately so unless Honeywell release new hardware revisions the hot water sensor will never be completely reliable.

When I eventually replace my ancient boiler I'll probably go with a combi (as we have an electric shower and only two hot taps) and that will solve the problem once and for all!
                              Thanks for the update and good to know, even though it is annoying you still get the faults.

Comment

• G4RHL
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post

It will, I assure you!

Comment

Working...
                                X