Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think there'll be a new Evo panel coming?

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I'm going to reach out to the developer to see if there's any useful information I can share. I've finally decided to attempt to produce some documentation on what we've learnt of the message and command structures when communicating via the HGI80 so hopefully this will be of some use.
    The developer is already on AH Forums as well, it's https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...p?40264-zxdavb

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Maybe it's time for a few of us to band together and come up with our own controller based on a Raspberry Pi with touch panel and CC101 wireless module ?
    Is the touch panel really required ?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    That's what wireshark is for!

The bigger problem will be certificates. Assuming this stuff is properly secure. Which might not be a good assumption!
    Pretty sure we've already established that it communicates over a TLS tunnel to Honeywell.

So unless (a) you hack the firmware to make it not care about the certificate, (b) there is a security bug (such as not checking the signing of the certificates correctly) or (c) have a root certificate authority that will sign a Honeywell domain certificate for you (probably not unless you are the CIA...) then any attempt to Wireshark it will be fruitless.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StuartP View Post
    Is the touch panel really required ?
    A modern touch UI is what I would like, yes.

Not the creaky old 2000's era Windows CE interface that we have now with an insensitive resistive touch screen.

Most other smart heating systems have gone towards smart phones being the only control mechanism (Tado etc) and I'm not in favour of that at all, and that is one thing that keeps me with Honeywell despite the antiquated user interface. Some people (like me and my other half) just like to have a thing on the wall that is the main way of viewing and controlling the heating with apps being secondary for when we're away from the house.

So, Raspberry Pi + Display + Case, in something like

Then just a case of adding in the required RF board.

It's then just the backend software that's needed, there's enough understanding of the RF protocol side to make this happen, it's then coming up with thing like the UI, and replicating existing behaviours.

For me it would be a great project, being able to integrate with other systems without going to a 'cloud' service for example being a big win. the ideal personally would be RF<->MQTT and the MQTT<->Logic allowing transition to new technology if required over time, for example Z-Wave / Zigbee TRVs or event OpenTherm interfaces.

Automated Home Jr Member

Some of the honeywell guys use to be active on this forum maybe they can let us know if anything is coming down the pipe.

Certainly it looks like the product has stagnated since it was launched