• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xiga
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2019

Total Noob. Need Some Quick Advice on Drayton Wiser Before I Buy

Hi guys

First post! I've just registered on here, as it's Black Friday week and i'm looking to buy something in the Sales. I have a budget of about £250ish and i've decided on Drayton Wiser, but i just want to run things past the experts here first, as i haven't a clue about all this tbh!

So we've been in our 4-bed detached new build for just over a year now, and i'd like to upgrade the heating system to something smart, incl radiator valves. We currently have a Worcester Greenstar 42 CDi Classic ErP Combi Boiler, and the way it works is, there is a thermostat downstairs and upstairs, and the Control Box downstairs has buttons for CH and HW, but it's been wired so that the CH button turns on the heating downstairs and the HW button turns on the heating upstairs. It's great that we have the option of only heating one floor at a time, so with the new setup i really would prefer it if we don't lose this ability - i.e when a radiator upstairs calls for heat, i definitely don't want ANY radiators downstairs coming on.

I've settled on Drayton Wiser (due to cost, and mostly good reviews - unlike the Hive radiator valves) and because i have some Amazon vouchers to spend, i i can afford the necessary multizone stat plus 8 smart radiator valves. So here's what i think i need (but please correct me if i'm wrong!):

1. Multizone Kit 2. The description says it's only compatible with Conventional Boilers (we have a Combi Boiler) but i think they only say this because it has an extra input that Combi boilers normally don't need. And because we have a dual heating circuit, with a Controller that has the HW input wired to the upstairs heating, i am assuming that this one will work just fine. What do you guys think?

2. 8 smart radiator valves. Nothing out of the ordinary here i would think.

3. A valve for the master bedroom, so that we can fit a smart radiator valve to it. We currently have the upstairs thermostat in here, which is why the radiator currently has no TRV on it. So i think i need one of these in order to fit the Drayton smart TRV:

4. Similar to 3 above, the vertical radiator in the kitchen (see pic below) currently has no TRV on it (the kitchen, dining area, and sun room are all open-plan and have 3 radiators between them. The vertical one in the kitchen is the only one without a TRV. The valve currently protrudes outwards from the wall - not a problem at the moment, as the valve is quite small) but if i put the smart TRV on there, it will definitely stick out too much. So i need a valve to make it vertical. Is this the right kind of thing i need?

20191126_200630v2.jpg

ps - Regarding the item linked to above in 4, is it reversible? i.e i can't tell if it would need to go on the bottom-right or bottom-left of the vertical radiator. Also, now that i think about it, i'm not even sure which end is the intake! Is there an easy way to tell??

Does all of this look ok, and have i missed anything?
    The way i see it, if this setup works, then once it's wired up (not by me! lol) then because of the CH & HW circuits in the Drayton Control box, then whenever a radiator comes on on one floor, then no radiator will come on on the other floor, correct? (note, i won't have smart TRV's on every single radiator, there will be a couple on each floor, bathrooms, utility room etc, that don't).

I'm looking to hit the buy botton tomorrow at some point, so i really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

TIA!

:-)
    Last edited by xiga; 29 November 2019, 01:26 AM.
  • fezster
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2017

Wow - a lot of questions. I'll try and answer as best I can. I've had the Wiser kit fitted for only a few days.

Originally posted by xiga View Post
    Hi guys

1. Multizone Kit 2. The description says it's only compatible with Conventional Boilers (we have a Combi Boiler) but i think they only say this because it has an extra input that Combi boilers normally don't need. And because we have a dual heating circuit, with a Controller that has the HW input wired to the upstairs heating, i am assuming that this one will work just fine. What do you guys think?

It depends on your setup. I assume you have 2 motorised valves. If every radiator in the house had smart TRV's, in theory you could leave the MV's open and let the smart TRV's control the radiators. The way you have described it, you want to retain control of your MV's and only have upstairs or downstairs come on, as appropriate. This is identical to my setup, except I have a HW cylinder too.

In which case, you need the Thermostat 3 kit with 2 heating zones:

This was on sale for £99.99 a few days ago. The reason being that you can't repurpose the HW zone on the wiser like you have done with your current programmer. You wont be able to assign any smart TRV's or smart room stats to the HW zone on the 2 channel kit you linked to.

3. A valve for the master bedroom, so that we can fit a smart radiator valve to it. We currently have the upstairs thermostat in here, which is why the radiator currently has no TRV on it. So i think i need one of these in order to fit the Drayton smart TRV:

4. Similar to 3 above, the vertical radiator in the kitchen (see pic below) currently has no TRV on it (the kitchen, dining area, and sun room are all open-plan and have 3 radiators between them. The vertical one in the kitchen is the only one without a TRV. The valve currently protrudes outwards from the wall - not a problem at the moment, as the valve is quite small) but if i put the smart TRV on there, it will definitely stick out too much. So i need a valve to make it vertical. Is this the right kind of thing i need?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1478[/ATTACH]
    This angled TRV is what you need, and cheaper too: https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-r...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

ps - Regarding the item linked to above in 4, is it reversible? i.e i can't tell if it would need to go on the bottom-right or bottom-left of the vertical radiator. Also, now that i think about it, i'm not even sure which end is the intake! Is there an easy way to tell??
    The Drayton TRV4's are bidirectional, yes. So they can go on the flow or return - it makes no difference.

Comment

• xiga
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2019

Thanks fezster!

I did think I might have needed the multizone Kit 3, but I wasn't sure, so thanks for confirming that.

:-)

Comment

Working...
      X