• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Den Automation has gone titsup

According to The Register (who are usually right about these things), Den Automation has gone to the wall.

It's a shame - the products had a lot going for them. But I'm not surprised. Wearing my PC Pro hat I asked for review samples several times, but it seems they were afraid of the products getting mainstream attention other than places that only do 'skim the surface' reviews.

I hope someone else buys the IP, and gets the whole thing up and running again.

P.
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Never heard of them before! That's a shame.

I'm looking to replace a couple of outdoor light switches (which are inside the back porch) with smart switches that I can control with IFTTT but still have a physical button of some kind on the front as well. I see Den did one... Any recommendations of other brands that are suitable for UK switches ?

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

They had good WAF (wife acceptance factor).

Or husband acceptance factor for one regular forum poster.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

So the alternatives now for UK wiring compatible smart light switches are......Lightwave ? and....... ??

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

I was never happy about how Den lights witches were wired. They used Earth as Neutral.

Other manufacturers *could* do that, but they don't. For good reason.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Yes it's a bit naughty.... however lighting circuits aren't typically RCD protected and if its just a few milliamps it's probably not an issue in practice. And what's the alternative in a light switch back box with no neutral wire, which is the case in the vast majority of UK homes ?

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Yeah, but Earth is there for safety. I wasn’t convinced that “there’s no alternative” was a good reason to use it for power.

I also suspect the switches would be destroyed next time an electrical inspection is done and a Megger shoves 500V between live and earth...

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

@DBMandrake have a look here.
                IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                X