Can a DTS92E control more than one device ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FullBore
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

Can a DTS92E control more than one device ?

I have two radiators in a long living room. There is an often used wood burner at the West end with a radiator a few feet away, there is another radiator at the East end of the room. This is between the door to the room & a single glazed sash window.

The two radiators have HR92 Radiator Controllers which are bound together. With the difference in temperature between the East & West ends of the room it's not very satisfactory to have either radiator control the temperature.

I don't have a spare zone, but have experimented & found that having each radiator as a zone works well.

It was suggested that I could control both radiators with a single DTS92E,which could be placed in the middle of the room, but I can't see how to do this.

HELP - please.

FB
  • anniesboy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2019

Lots of help information here,not sure if it helps?

Comment

• FullBore
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2016

anniesboy

Many thanks, I haven't found what I want there, but there is an implication that it's possible.

Maybe someone will be along & tell me how.

FB

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Personally I don't think a DTS92 will solve your problem, if one end of the room is always colder than the other due to it being so long and one end having a wood burner.

If you put the DTS92 at the warm end of the room the other end will be too cold, if you put it at the cold end the other end will get too hot, and if you put it in the middle you'll just halve the difference and one end will be a bit too hot and the other end a bit too cold!

If you've found it works well with the radiators in separate zones but you don't have a spare zone for permanent use there is an easy solution - put both radiators back into the same zone and configure it to be a "multi-room zone".

In a multi room zone both radiators will share the same schedule and set point, however they will independently sense the temperature at each TRV and adjust accordingly, so each radiator will work independently to make its end of the room match the set point using its own local measurement - effectively what you've done by putting them in separate zones.

There are some drawbacks using a multi-room zone configuration however:

1) You can't use a separate wall sensor like a DTS92 - only the built in sensors in the TRV's
        2) The controller will only show the measured temperature from one TRV (the first one you bind) leaving you to guess at what the second one is measuring. (however you can put the TRV's in Room temperature display mode and look at the TRV's themselves)
        3) Local overrides made on the TRV's themselves will not be reflected on the control panel itself.
        4) Local overrides made on the TRV's themselves will only affect the that one radiator instead of both, however an override made on the controller will affect both TRV's.

If these limitations are OK for you then go ahead and try setting it up as a multi-room zone - I know quite a few people on here have done this with long skinny or odd shaped asymmetric rooms with multiple radiators where a single temperature measurement location can't adequately describe the conditions in the whole room.
        Last edited by DBMandrake; 13 December 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Might be worth using a fan heater - on the cold setting - just to redistribute the air around the room and mix things up a bit. Only needs to be a small one, and you could hide it away. Put it on a timer plug so that it comes on around the same time as the heating.

Comment

• FullBore
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2016

paulockenden

Many thanks. I actually already have a "thermal fan" on the top of the wood burner, and a powered fan on a stand at the other end of the room, which circulates hot air in the room, and blows it out to the hall!

They both assist, but ....

The alternative is to install another controller to give me 24, rather than 12 zones - I could use 8 on the first floor, plus 6, maybe 7 on the ground floor - quite an expensive upgrade for an additional 2 or 3 zones.

FB

Comment

• FullBore
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2016

DBMandrake - Many thanks

Your answer may well be the best. I'll give it a go & report back.

FB

Comment

Working...
              X