• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seanbts
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2017

Evohome Vs Tado V3

Hi Guys,

We currently have EVOHOME installed with HW and 9 Rads, it works fine but with the fact that EVOHOME hasn't received any updates in a long time and doesn't look like it will, we are now looking at moving over to Tado 3, does anyone have an opinions on the pros and cons of doing this?

Thanks in advance
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

Originally posted by seanbts View Post
    Hi Guys,

We currently have EVOHOME installed with HW and 9 Rads, it works fine but with the fact that EVOHOME hasn't received any updates in a long time and doesn't look like it will, we are now looking at moving over to Tado 3, does anyone have an opinions on the pros and cons of doing this?

Thanks in advance
    ARe updates for their own sake important to you or is there significant functionality missing? I don't know how the Tado costs but assuming similar to Honeywell that's best part of a grand surely?

Comment

• Hankscorpion
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2017

Stick with Evohome. I had Tado and the hardware went faulty after two years. Tado would not replace. Several times the house was cold when the house lost internet access.

I switched to Evohome and have not had any issues for 3 years. The app could do with updating and an iPad app would be nice, but at least it all works and does what it is supposed to do.

Comment

• philchillbill
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2017

Has your toaster received any updates recently? Does that give you an urge to replace it?

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by seanbts View Post
          Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance
          I have done just that but not for the reasons that you might think. I sold a property 18 months ago with a full Evohome installation. During the 4 years or so that I lived with Evohome, I think, thanks to the contributors to this forum, I could resolve most issues as they arose. However, my wife took absolutely no interest whatsoever in the system.

When we downsized to a new build smaller property in 2018 which has the 2 standard thermostats and manual TRVs, I sat down and listed the pros and cons of Evohome for a retired couple. The risks far outweighed the pros - particularly, for a non technically-minded widow. I took into account the fact that my SiL lives just 25 miles away but, nice and kind as he is, he really isn't interested in anything smart although he is a computer scientist! I then thought about local technical support and realised that calling someone in to look at Evohome was a Licence to print money. I was also not convinced that in a well insulated home that there were any additional savings to be made.

I then looked carefully at the two ESI thermostats that had been fitted during the build. They are anything but intuitive to programme. Also, when I took them off the wall, I found that at the back of the circuit board there was a cell backup battery that no mention was made of it the manual. It also proved very difficult to remove. This left me with a dilemma.

As it happened, Tado thermostats were heavily discounted on Amazon so I bought two and replaced the ESI thermostats in minutes. The App is very intuitive with built geofencing. Moreover, the thermostat itself contains batteries which are easy to replace by tilting and removing the faceplate (ie; widow friendly).

The bridge is the size of an AA battery. It just works. Four months on, I would say that Tado has better control of the overall house temperature than a standard thermostat. There is less boiler cycling than there was. Clearly, I don't have the level of control that Evohome offers and there is no built in failsafe protection. I doubt given the high level of property insulation that I will bother with eTRVs (unless Tado starts giving them away) and I haven't bothered with the water extension kit.

In sum, I do not regret my time with Evohome but Evohome and Tado are very different beasts. My wife is happier as she knows that if anything happens to me she can change the batteries in the Tado thermostat with ease and, if a thermostat fails, then any plumber can fit an old-fashioned standard thermostat.

Comment

Working...
          X