• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharpener
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2015

E3 fault on Honeywell HR80 UK

Has anyone got a fix for the dreaded E3 fault? I imagine that something gets stuck mechanically. Any tips, even on how you open up the case? I have got three units with this fault (and had another eight replaced while they under warranty!) so a solution would save me around £180.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
  • chrisgare
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2013

Easy peasy. I did this several times with success a few years ago before I upgraded my actuators.

Take a look at this YouTube video - think it's the right one.

Chris

Comment

• sharpener
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2015

Thanks for the tip Chris, it has rescued 3 units for me.

Wearing your electronics engineer hat do you know what is going on here? If e.g. the motor stops with the brushes intermittently out of contact how does wiring a battery across it help? Alternatively, if there is mechanical stickiness then turning the final drive pinion by hand (which is just about possible) ought to resolve it but it doesn't. And if too much motor current is detected momentarily then how/why does it remember that state once the batteries have been taken out?

So I am still a bit puzzled as to the nature of the fault (even though the cure undoubtedly works), if it isn't a fatal mechanical problem and the software can detect the fault then I would have thought there could have been a fix in software too.

ATB, Chris

Comment

• chrisgare
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2013

No idea I'm afraid. Could be a but a grit in the gears but unlikely?

Comment

Working...
        X