Thread: Evohome set an override by itself - linked to comms fault?

Automated Home Guru

Default Evohome set an override by itself - linked to comms fault?

Noticed a comms fault on the panel this morning, for that zone it is showing an override of 20C set (normally 12 is the programmed value). Wasn't sure if this was a a reporting glitch so went to the room in question.

The room has two HR92s and a dedicated thermostat unit. One HR92 was completely dead, the other and the thermostat were running fine.

The radiator with the still-working HR92 was indeed on full blast. I actually have no idea how long this has been the case, if it's been heating an unused room long-term that's not good!

Can anyone shed any light on this? The fact the main controller reports the override makes me think it's not a rogue HR92?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Perhaps the dead HR92 died when the room was last heating up, and just after sending a 100% heat demand?

Automated Home Guru

If you have multiple HR92s in a zone you set one as master, but if you also have a thermostat is this still the case, or does the controller talk to the thermostat? If the latter, it should be controlling the still-alive HR92 at the last program?

Doesn't explain the override on the controller either.

Also - I never thought of this buy can you get email notifications of battery/actuator issues like you can service failure/restoration?

Automated Home Jr Member

The override showing on the main controller when nobody set an override, is a well known problem. I get it fairly regularly on a system with 11 HR92s.

If the central unit sends a temp setting to the HR92 but the HR92 doesnt get it -then when occasionaly the HR92s send their current temp setting to the central controller, the controller interprets the difference as a manual override and sets it accordingly.
    - this daft behaviour is because unbelievably Honeywell implemented a comms protocol without units acknowledging each other.

- this normally sorts itself out when the central controller sends the next set point to the HR92 (assuming it gets it) so unlikely its been heating the room for a long time.