• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

SMETS2 Gas Meter Intermittent Fault

I have a L and G G470 Gas Smart Meter installed at my property. The meter (not the IHD) keeps stopping; ie, it fails to record usage. After a few hours/day, it starts recording again. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I have reported it to my supplier but they seem not to be that interested. My guess is that a component in the meter (transducer perhaps) is failing. That said, I had a further thought overnight.

My gas meter is on an external wall separated from my study by brick; insulating foam; breeze block and drywall boarding. As luck would have it my router is located almost immediately behind the meter box. Connected to the router is a wired automated home bridge that communicates to various components around my home via radio at 868MHz. There are no issues with these components and the IHD is happily communicating with the comms unit attached to my SMETS2 electricity meter. Can I safely rule out component interference as a simple cause of the meter problems? When the gas meter does decide to record usage, this shows up on the IHD.
  • Wlife
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2020

hi I install these sometimes the issue is interference between signals. Are you sure the meter itself is not recording usage or are you getting that info from the IHD. Also gas info is delayed for gas on the IHD generally half hourly.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Originally posted by Wlife View Post
      hi I install these sometimes the issue is interference between signals. Are you sure the meter itself is not recording usage or are you getting that info from the IHD. Also gas info is delayed for gas on the IHD generally half hourly.
      It’s the meter that is the issue. The supplier has a number of SMETS2 gas meters that in a similar state. They believe that it is the result of a botched firmware update. The meter did start recording usage on Saturday for 3 days but it has now failed again. Smart metering is a gift that just keeps on giving.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Free fuel while it isn’t working? Or will they bill you based on averages?

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
          Free fuel while it isn’t working? Or will they bill you based on averages?
          I confess that I haven’t a clue as the supplier has gone silent on the issue. Like many suppliers they are struggling with ‘not fit for purpose’ SMETS2 metering. There is also an issue with my electricity billing. There is an occasional loss of data from the DCC to the supplier which stalls their billing process. It has taken their systems integrator 5 months to develop an API to enable them to recover lost data.

Comment

Working...
          X