Why am I not smart enough to use SMART software from X-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkcomm
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

Why am I not smart enough to use SMART software from X-10?

Hi,

I just bought the "Smart Macro" Plug-in and I might be, I don't know yet, very disappointed. In my pre-smart days (and they have been few) I created a MACRO that would turn the hallway light on and dim it. It would leave the light on for 5 min. when triggered by an Eagle-eye motion detector. It was very limited indeed but it worked. By the way, my time format is in 24 hours/day.

After installing my SMART stuff I told the hall light to turn on, and ONLY on, when the MACRO/trigger had returned to its OFF state (to avoid constant re-triggering keeping a constant 5 min. "ON" until I was away from the Motion detector). Moreover, I told the Macro to wait until after 5:00 in the afternoon before it responded, and to cease responding after 7:30 AM in the morning - you see, this is a nightlight for potty visits!

It didn't work. I removed the "Only if off" condition and the Macro still didn't work. I finally removed the allowable response period (5 PM 'till 7:30 AM) and guess what - it worked! But, THAT's what I had without being SMART!

Also, and I am not sure this is important, the SMART software uses the 12 hour day whereas I have changed everything else to a 24 hour day; is thias important? In general, what should I do to put the above mentioned conditions back in the Macro AND (<-- A condition!) make it work?

Thanks for any help at all!

Don Kennedy (USA)
    Donald Kennedy
  • Cardy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

Re: Why am I not smart enough to use SMART software from X-1

Don,
    I may be way off the mark here but I've come across a related problem (albeit in my normal job as a Database Administrator). How are you specifying the allowable period? In the related problem I encountered someone was specifying the period as "after 5pm and before 7am" but these times were being interpreted as being on the same day. A particular time of day cannot be both before 7am and after 5pm!!. If this is the case in your scenario, change the allowable period to be "NOT between 7am and 5pm" if possible.

HTH
    Cardy

Comment

• dkcomm
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2005

Re: Why am I not smart enough to use SMART software from X-1

Thank you Cardy! Actually the time "problem" is why I switched to the 24 hour format in AHP in the first place. I was astonished to see that choice was not reflected in the plug-in, accordingly, I thought I could get away with using the 12 hour format. I haven't tried your suggestion yet but will do so immediately - thanks again.

Don
      Donald Kennedy

Comment

Working...
      X