• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philchillbill
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2017

Api

@Rameses: One thing I'd love to get closure on is 'formalising' the API.

I write Alexa skills for a living and I want to release a non-affiliated skill to control Evohome, but I don't want to put in the development effort if an unofficial API key can be revoked at any moment. The official Alexa support to date is very basic. You can query the setpoint/actual and adjust the setpoint and that's it. With my skill you can edit and query schedules, save and restore entire named schedule-blocks (to e.g. switch between a day-shift and night-shift), delay or pull forward things like going to bed or getting up (Alexa, delay bedtime by 20 mins; Alexa, I want an early rise tomorrow by 45 mins). There's a concept of scenes, which simply map to named setpoint groups (Alexa, activate watching TV). Plus some energy-saving helpers like Alexa, what rooms have heat demand? It's all user customisable and groups/scenes can all be named to the customer's desire (by voice). If you have more than one Echo then you can omit the zone name in the command as there is an 'assumed' default zone for each Echo unless a specific zone is named in the command.

None of this is rocket science - in the end, the skill code just queries and modifies the JSON data that's already sitting in the Resideo cloud. But it does clever things with that data in a manner that's really easy for a customer to use. It's a custom skill rather than the smart home skill that Resideo provides for Evohome, which explains why it can do a lot more. I'd like to make it available under a freemium model if an API key is a realistic proposition. The API is 'there' anyway and it's used under the hood by the Android and iPhone apps. Surely it's low hanging fruit for Resideo to leverage that API investment and open Evohome/TCC to the maker community?

Comment

• MrB
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2015

Respect @philchillbill
      What a fantastic implementation.... Gets my vote for general circulation.
      I have an API key as I pull in all my data for more general house usage.
      If you feel like sharing please include me on the list and I'll use my own API key.
      Thanks.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Sounds like Resideo should buy your code!

Comment

• Fly100
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2018

Is there a way to alter the min DHW Temp ? My Boiler comes on after two showers, however I have a Solar Immersion that heats the water during the day, the min water temp is not an issue for me, so I'd like to set it lower.

Thanks,

FLY

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Minimum hot water temperature is set indirectly by changing the differential. Minimum = setpoint - differential, so increase the differential number.

Keep in mind that if the minimum temperature is too low and hot water usage is low there is a theoretical increased risk of Legionalla.

Comment

• Fly100
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              Minimum hot water temperature is set indirectly by changing the differential. Minimum = setpoint - differential, so increase the differential number.

Keep in mind that if the minimum temperature is too low and hot water usage is low there is a theoretical increased risk of Legionalla.
              I think I explained badly, hot water comes on in the morning at this time of year. and reached the set Temp 46C. That gives us two showers, we then leave for work. The Tank is normally at 18-20C at that point. Now if one shower is longer and the tank reaches 10C the boiler comes on ( like a frost setting).It shows as off on the Evo home screen but the BDR 91 box for the water is showing green. Can that Temp be altered ? As I say I think its like a frost setting but for the DHW.
              Thanks,

FLY

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

The hot water control does indeed have frost protection although I believe it activates at 5C not 10C.

Your cold water supply must be very cold, I've never seen it trigger on my system! A couple of other users here have though.

No you can't disable it, and why would you want to ? A frozen cylinder would be disaster and the frost protection is there to protect you against that. I can't see any reason why you'd want your hot water cylinder to go below 5C.

It doesn't do a full reheat when the frost protect kicks in - I believe it only goes up to something like 20C, and then won't come on again until it drops below 5C again.
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 13 January 2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Fly100
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  The hot water control does indeed have frost protection although I believe it activates at 5C not 10C.

Your cold water supply must be very cold, I've never seen it trigger on my system! A couple of other users here have though.

No you can't disable it, and why would you want to ? A frozen cylinder would be disaster and the frost protection is there to protect you against that. I can't see any reason why you'd want your hot water cylinder to go below 5C.

It doesn't do a full reheat when the frost protect kicks in - I believe it only goes up to something like 20C, and then won't come on again until it drops below 5C again.
                  Thanks for the extra info, I will conduct a few more tests, but im pretty sure its not going off a 5C incoming water main temp is currently 8C maybe a touch more.
                  Thanks again.
                  FLY

Comment

• rs1987
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2019

This is unconfirmed information of course, but I just got off the phone with one of the Evohome tech support guys and he happened to mention on the call that we will be getting firmware updates soon...he used the plural, which makes me wonder if they're planning a series of roll-outs of new functionality

Comment

• HenGus
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by rs1987 View Post
                      This is unconfirmed information of course, but I just got off the phone with one of the Evohome tech support guys and he happened to mention on the call that we will be getting firmware updates soon...he used the plural, which makes me wonder if they're planning a series of roll-outs of new functionality
                      Based on past experience, do not expect much given the limitations of the Evohome operating system. The two updates normally relate to the firmware AND the wifi.

Comment

• top brake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2015

heads up folks, you should be hearing from Resideo about this firmware update very soon
                        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• JamboV6
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Oct 2017

Always good getting heating control updates just as the heating will be getting turned off in the next few weeks. Good for anyone south of the equator though!

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

the timing is actually to coincide with the next heating season Q3, but it will also help in the shoulder seasons
                            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JamboV6 View Post
                              Always good getting heating control updates just as the heating will be getting turned off in the next few weeks. Good for anyone south of the equator though!
                              Last time a firmware update was released in the middle of winter and caused problems for a few people Honeywell were blasted for releasing the update in the middle of the heating season! They can't win...

Also I don't know what part of the UK you live in (or country) but up here, heating is still definitely required in March!

Comment

• G4RHL
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by JamboV6 View Post

I am sure mine is not going off in the next few weeks. It is bad enough trying to persuade my wife not to want it turned up! But then she is justified for ladies feel the heat more and I think I am right saying for some there is up to a 3C degree difference between what a man may feel is cold to what a lady does. Definitely no heating off here for some time. Indeed it has been known to snow in June! Of course if the firmware has been thoroughly tested with actual users there will be no problems, will there?!

Comment

Working...
                                X