• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basiluk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2008

Comms fault on all 12 zones!

OK, so CD78E30C-66EA-4EBC-8F4D-42E086D606AC.jpg

here is a mystery - Perfectly working EH system suddenly starting giving comms errors on all 12 zones yesterday - photo attached. No new wireless devices, no new Bluetooth devices, no new alarms added, no changes made to WiFi. Battery out and rest of controller has no effect. Changed batteries in many HR92 without success.

Stranhge thing is that heating and hot water are still working, i.e. changing as needed!

Moved controller to different parts of house no change - Any ideas please?
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Do you have hot water? If so change the battery in the temp sensor.

In the past we’ve seen a couple of instances of a dying HW sensor causing a fault like this.

It may not be, but for the sake of a couple of AAs it's worth a try.

(Edit) Sorry, of course you have hot water - I just click the photo thumbnail!

Comment

• basiluk
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2008

Thanks Paul - should have said have also changed those batteries as well,m same result even after reboot.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

If all zones are suddenly reporting errors then normal deduction would say that either there is massive signal interference from something (unlikely to that extent) or the radio in your controller has failed.

Do you get any result if you do a signal test ? Remember you can initiate a signal test from either the controller or from the HR92's...

If that shows no result then a full factory reset of the controller would be next on my list of things to try before condemning it..

Comment

• basiluk
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Oct 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. All zones show perfect reception despite the continuing errors. EH support suggested deleting all zones and reminding, and this has resolved it. Worrying though, this sort of thing should not happen.

Comment

• filbert
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2017

I've had the same problem at least twice now. The first time it happened (October, late morning), I rebooted the controller (by taking the batteries out) and then started trying to rebind all the TRVs but after a couple, I just left it for a while and everything went back to normal. I can't remember the exact details but I did take photos of the fault log. My initial screen wasn't like the screenshot in the original message as it wasn't showing temperatures, just dashes. After things returned to normal, the log showed comms restored events.

This time, I rebooted the controller and left it for an hour or so. The temperatures came back but the warning triangles didn't disappear until I went in and cleared the fault log. There were no restore events.

In both cases, all the zones lost comms in the space of a couple of minutes. With the more recent one, I think it had started well before the faults started showing up in the log, as I had noticed the red light flashing on the DHW BDR61 and also that the radiators didn't seem to coming on as I expected. This might have been an hour before the faults showed up.

I live in a small, quiet, village and, the last event was New Year's Eve, also late morning, and it was very quiet, no traffic or passing aeroplanes. I can't think of any external event that might have caused the failure and I think it must be a controller issue of some sort as rebooting resolved it.
            Last edited by filbert; 2 January 2021, 12:34 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

• filbert
              Automated Home Guru
              • Oct 2017

This has happened again a few times since my last post in Jan. Rebooting the controller seemed to resolve it previously. I also noticed, from the log, that it seemed to have happened last month and resolved itself without us noticing or doing anything.

However, yesterday we did notice, as there was no hot water at bedtime. The log shows comms faults everywhere at around 13:00 but it still hadn't resolved itself by next morning. Rebooting the controller didn't help. Nor did changing the batteries in the hot water controller, so I started doing RF checks on the various devices which resolved the issue on that specific zone. After doing a few, I noticed that the rest of the zones had come back without any me checking the comms on them.

Could the problem really be due to failing batteries in the hot water sensor, as mentioned by Paul above? They were 'weak' on my battery tester. Or is the controller starting to fail?

Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

• therealfronty
                Automated Home Guru
                • May 2021

Do you have a microwave oven? If so try unplugging it from the mains, leave it a day or so and see if that helps.

Do you have anything else apart from your internet WiFi that uses wireless communications? e.g home theatre surround sound wifi transmitter?

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

We have a microwave but the problem is so intermittent that I can’t believe it is implicated - it’s also a different one to the one we had when I first noticed the problem. Nothing else uses wifi, apart from mobile devices and laptops. Everything else (hifi, printer, nas, etc) is hardwired

Comment

Working...
                  X