Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR33 not working on a a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 83w

Automated Home Lurker

Default VR33 not recognised on a a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832

Hi all

Hoping to get some help as I can't seem to get the VR33 module working or even powering on. I've had 2 engineers out now and so the cost is starting to add up.

Previously had a vaillant controller (VRC470f) with my boiler. I have now upgraded to a Drayton Wiser but I'm struggling to get the VR33 working so I can't use OpenTherm at the moment.

The VRV470f and it's radio receiver that fits into the front of the boiler were removed. Engineer wired a wallplate for me as I didn't have one before and the Drayton is connected to that which works fine as a smart thermostat.

The VR33 is installed as per the instructions but there is no green LED on it and the boiler doesn't recognise any ebus controller (as well as the Drayton wiser doesn't recognise any opentherm connector.)

I have attached pictures below, the engineer also tried removing 230V RT and leaving it empty but that didn't work and the VR33 still has no power.

Thanks
    Last edited by kasharif; 14th January 2020 at 04:50 PM.

Automated Home Legend

I being thick or blind or both. Where in those photos is the VR33 connected to the boiler PCB?

Automated Home Lurker

Couldn't add more than 5 photos. Mine came with an RJ (ethernet like ) adaptor that plugs into the VR33 and then the 4 pin plugs into the X31. I assumed my VR33 was newer as it looked different to the ones I've seen on the NL websites...

IMG_20200113_165219.jpg

Here it is from eBay.

Screenshot_20200114-202928.jpg
    Last edited by kasharif; 14th January 2020 at 09:30 PM.

Automated Home Legend

That isn't a VR33 module at all. That's a VR32/3 which is an eBUS Coupler. You need part number 0020017895 which is a VR33

Automated Home Lurker

D'oh!

Thanks a lot, spent hours reading every post on VR33 and pulling my hair out. Ordered one from NL and will update to confirm when it arrives.

Automated Home Legend

And you say you had two engineers in!

Automated Home Lurker

Ha! Most of them don't seem to know much about smart thermostats....let alone OpenTherm. They just read the manual, said they did the job and asked to be paid. I actually had to show them threads on here for how to check if the eBus controller is recognised etc!!
    As well as the module technically invalidating warranty, that basically scared away any "gas engineer".

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks to @bruce.

VR33 ordered from NL, arrived and fitted today. Recognised and working! Woo!

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by kasharif View Post
    Thanks to @bruce.

Congratulations!

VR33 ordered from NL, arrived and fitted today. Recognised and working! Woo!
    I used to be a heating engineer but retired from the trade. I have been thinking of fitting the VR33 opentherm module in my Ecofit Pure 415 and would like to get your thoughts besides plugging the connector etc to the main control board. What other steps did you have to take in order to get your Drayton thermostat to communicate and and am i right in thinking you were able to use Load compensation to modulate the heat output of the boiler and reduce it from recyling. Does it also support Weather Comp? I think it can only do one. What is model of Drayton thermostat you are using.

Searched for suppliers in NL for VR33 but no one seems to ship to the UK. Could you please share where you purchased it from.
    Last edited by mcalm; 14th December 2022 at 12:27 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi

It was literally plug and play. Insert vr33 into boiler, two wires to the Drayton thermostat. I have a Drayton wiser heat, so I just opened the app and went to settings and turned on opentherm.
    Yes it is weather comp, uses internet to detect weather rather than a directly fed sensor.

I ordered it before Brexit so things were easier.

Try this site:
    https://www.vanwalraven.com/en/artnr...erm-modul-vr33