Thread: T87RF Zone Identification

Automated Home Jr Member

Default T87RF Zone Identification

Is there a way, like with the HR91 and HR92, where you can press a button and a message pops up on the evohome touch panel telling you what zone it's in, to identify the zone binding of a T87RF round wall thermostat?

Automated Home Ninja

You could rotate the T87RF to set the temperature to 30C and look for the zone with this setting on the panel.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rs1987 View Post
    Is there a way, like with the HR91 and HR92, where you can press a button and a message pops up on the evohome touch panel telling you what zone it's in, to identify the zone binding of a T87RF round wall thermostat?
    I presume you meant a message pops up on the HR92 itself with the zone name when you press the button - as I've never seen a message appear on the evotouch panel in response to pressing the button on an HR92...

Kevin's suggestion of adjusting the setpoint at the T87RF and watching the controller to see which zone changes is a good one, however there is a specific (uncomon) circumstance where this can be misleading.

A wall thermostat like the T87RF or DTS92E actually fulfils two different roles - they are room temperature sensors AND set point controllers which allow them to display and modify the set point of the zone. The protocol treats these as separate functions even though both functions are automatically bound at the same time during binding.

Imagine this scenario:

1) Bind the T87RF to a zone, it's now a set point controller for the zone and the binding process also automatically adds it as the new temperature sensor for the zone. Everything is working as expected.

2) Go back into settings in the installer menu and choose the temperature sensor for the zone and bind it to the HR92. Now the HR92 is the temperature sensor for the zone.

The T87RF is now removed from the zone, right ? Wrong!

You'll find that the T87RF is still bound to the zone as a set point controller and can therefore still control and display the set point for the zone and pass Kevin's test.

But it isn't the temperature sensor for the zone anymore. The T87RF will measure room temperature and display it but its figure is not used by the rest of the system, the control panel will be using and reporting the temperature from the HR92, as will all the HR92's in the zone.

And yes I've tried this, albeit with a DTS92E, however if my understanding of the protocol is correct it will apply to the T87RF as well. The problem is easily fixed by simply going back in to choose a new temperature sensor for the zone and binding to the T87RF again.

So in short, the only way to be 100% sure what device in a multi-device zone is the temperature sensor, is to subject it to heat or cold and ensure that the reading it measures propogates through to the controller and HR92's in the zone.

I installed two new radiators in a zone that hasn't had radiators for a year, tried both HR92's as the sensor in turn to see which worked better, and then a couple of weeks later installed a DTS92E, and when verifying that the correct device of the three was actually acting as the sensor I simply sat it on top of a hot radiator for a few minutes to ensure that the reading propogated to the controller and other devices.

I don't know of any other way to determine this with certainity if you've been messing around changing the temperature sensor for the zone.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 18th January 2020 at 11:28 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks both of you. I took the sensor and put it outside and the temperature of the zone dropped like a stone. It also controls the set point of the zone, so I guess it's bound properly.