Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run a single radiator using Evohome or invest in an electric radiator

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Really, so what are they expecting in a conservatory? UFH? or are they trying to force the fact that it's in no way integral to the rest of the house, so shouldn't use the supplies of the house?
    The reasoning I understand is solely that a radiator in a conservatory attached to the house system could be a waste of energy as due to the lower temperatures in cooler months it will be on when it is not being used and the heat loss, because of the area of glass and roof, will be great. The fact that I can control when it is on, and at what temperature, using Evohome is not relevant to these "experts"! Mine was installed before the regulations came about.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Having said that in due course I will remove a radiator in the conservatory as it is not very efficient, with the HR92 fitted mid winter I hear the boiler fire up in the night because the temperature has dropped below the minimum you can set of 5C. When I want it on it can struggle to get a decent temperature. I think an electric panel radiator will be more efficient but I doubt if I will recoup the capital cost. In the UK I believe one cannot now install a radiator in a conservatory that runs off the CH system.
    Yes, this is exactly what I do. My conservatory was re-purposed as a dining room, so I do need to use it. However, the central heating struggles to heat it even to 15 degrees in this weather and the problem is compounded by the fact that the radiator is about half the size it should be, so the gas bill literally goes through the roof if I attempt to heat the conservatory using mains gas.

I use this heater. It heats the entire space in about 15 minutes. Extremely effective and I use it only for about an hour a day when I want to eat dinner. It's pricier than a standard oil-filled radiator, but it heats up almost instantly and according to the literature is substantially more efficient than a oil-filled radiator.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rs1987 View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I do. My conservatory was re-purposed as a dining room, so I do need to use it. However, the central heating struggles to heat it even to 15 degrees in this weather and the problem is compounded by the fact that the radiator is about half the size it should be, so the gas bill literally goes through the roof if I attempt to heat the conservatory using mains gas.

I use this heater. It heats the entire space in about 15 minutes. Extremely effective and I use it only for about an hour a day when I want to eat dinner. It's pricier than a standard oil-filled radiator, but it heats up almost instantly and according to the literature is substantially more efficient than a oil-filled radiator.
    Thanks for the recommendation. It gets some decent reviews and is not too expensive. Worth a thought.