Thread: Somfy blinds and home automation Google nest

Automated Home Lurker

Default Somfy blinds and home automation Google nest

Hi,

My in-laws got some Somfy blinds and bought them on the premis that they were automated and could be connected to their Google nest but when they asked the installer he pointed them to the office who pointed them to sales who told them to Google it 🤷🤦

In fairness my fil looked into it but the hub is an outrageous price so he came to me, I've looked into it and it's not very clear.
    From what I can tell its z wave but uses ZRTSI (is that a Z wave thing or Somfy's proprietary BS?) so I'm unsure if just getting a normal z wave hub will allow the control they need.

Can anyone shed a but if light on this for me please?

Automated Home Lurker

Reading back on this it was late, hopefully to make the post easier to understand and also for context, I'm fairly new to home automation. I've a few devices (8 or so plugs, some speakers, some thermometers and lights), no Home Assistant set up, No blinds or anything like that.
    I'm fairly tech literate though so trying to learn as I go.
    When I started to read into the Somfy hub and connecting it to their Google Nest is when I read about the protocol ZRTSI which is why I asked about it.

When you boil it all back, I'm trying to see if my in-laws need to buy the ridiculously expensive hub or if a cheaper Z-wave hub could be used instead but still keep the same functionality.