• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naaz
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

Help needed wiring a thermostat

Hi all

Can someone please advice me how to wire a wireless room thermostat.

My boiler has a wire link (yellow) and the boiler booklet states that this link should be removed when fitting a room thermostat.

All this is ok but the problem is that the wireless room thermostat control has three wires which are live neutral and output.

All advice will be apreciated.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Help needed wiring a thermostat

I'm just making an educated guess here, so if someone else could verify that what I am saying is correct that would be good.
    Connect the live and neutral up. The output wire should then connect to the boiler, as this will be a switched live connection (on or off). Exactly where you connect it inside your boiler I don't know. Do you know the make and model number.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• naaz
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2005

Hi

The thrmostat is called a Thermstat T105 and the boiler is ICI Caldie Twin Solar. Hope this helps

Comment

• naaz
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Dec 2005

Just a correction the thermostat is called Towerstat RF advavanced RF programmable thermostat.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

It looks like I am right. Just had a look at the manual.
          you can download it here

I hope this is the same as your thermostat.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• naaz
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the reply Toscal but if i wire it the way you say then it shuts down the whole boiler when the temperature reaches the set level and therefore the water heating system can not operate.

I am a bit confused.

Comment

• phelix
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2005

Have you set the switch in the remote to heat rather than cool?

Comment

• oscar21
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2005

where you have taken the link wire out of the boiler you are left with 2 connections, one of these will be a permanent live output (you may need to check with a multi meter or it maybe labled Ls, this connects to the live supply of the thermostat, the output connection of the thermostat goes to the other connection on the boiler (maybe Lr). The neutral from the thermostat goes to the neutral connection on the boiler, there might be a spare one next to the thermostat connection, if not just pick one up from the incoming supply in the boiler (should be labled 'N' - blue wire).

Comment

• naaz
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Dec 2005

Thanks for the advice guys will keep you posted.

Comment

• rebroad
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2006

Hi. I have exactly the same problem. I bought the T105 not realising that the 240V output is not useable with my combi boiler.

My combi boiler has a circuit that needs to be opened and closed, rather than fed with a voltage.

A possible solution would be to purchase a relay that is 240V powered, and connect this to the circuit on the combi.

Alternatively, you could remove the relay from the T105 (it's a "Massuse ME-11"), so that when it opens and closes it's connected directly to the circuit on your boiler rather than one end of it being connected to 240V live.

The first solution is probably better in order to avoid needing to take the T105 apart, but with the 1st solution you need to be careful in that you'll have 240V of electricity somewhere in your combi that wasn't there previously (and therefore not necessarily adequately protected from water, etc).

Hope this makes sense.

Ed

Comment

• phelix
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Dec 2005

I plan to relocate the base station from the lounge (where there's no neutral feed in the wiring to the old conventional thermostat, just a live that the old thermostat switched on) to the utility room where I can easily "feed" the base station with live and neutral so that it works properly and then the base can switch on the boiler.

Remember that the wireless thermostat allows you to not just relocate the temperature sensing portion of the thermostat but you can also move the base station to very near the boiler.

Comment

• naaz
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the info.
                        I found it very complicated so I just returned the unit and am looking for a two wire combi connection and a seperate power for the base RF unit.

I wish you good luck with your wiring.

Regards

Naz

Originally posted by rebroad
                        Hi. I have exactly the same problem. I bought the T105 not realising that the 240V output is not useable with my combi boiler.

My combi boiler has a circuit that needs to be opened and closed, rather than fed with a voltage.

A possible solution would be to purchase a relay that is 240V powered, and connect this to the circuit on the combi.

Alternatively, you could remove the relay from the T105 (it's a "Massuse ME-11"), so that when it opens and closes it's connected directly to the circuit on your boiler rather than one end of it being connected to 240V live.

The first solution is probably better in order to avoid needing to take the T105 apart, but with the 1st solution you need to be careful in that you'll have 240V of electricity somewhere in your combi that wasn't there previously (and therefore not necessarily adequately protected from water, etc).

Hope this makes sense.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                        X