Thread: Help with Evohome heating - hot water needs to be on for heating

Automated Home Lurker

Default Help with Evohome heating - hot water needs to be on for heating

Hi,

Hello -I've done a lot of research on this issue and I think it must be really simple, but I am slightly confused.

I have a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 Oil Boiler. The original system had a Honeywell HW02 thermostat and a separate programmer for heating and hot water. All worked fine.

The programmer had live, neutral and two live connections for heating on and hot water on.

I replaced the programmer with two BDR91's. One for hot water (and installed the hot water kit on my vented gravity hot water tank) and one for heating. I have placed a link across the connection in the boiler where the thermostat was connected. I have most of my radiators fitted with HR92s and a few without (currently no TRV valves fitted).

The issue I have is that it is that to get any heating I have to have the hot water on as well as the heating. Is that correct? If the heating relay is just activated the boiler does not "kick in" I just hear a pump noise. Is this a configuration setting or a wiring issue?

Of note - when I used to put the heating on using the programmer BOTH lights would light up (heating and hot water).

Can someone point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    Edit

The BDR relays are operating correctly and respond as configured. I set the boiler control to none. The ch relay activates the pump but does not activate the boiler. I can't find any moterised valves anywhere which is confusing.

What should trigger the boiler to activate? Really appreciate some help.
    Last edited by mart77; 2nd February 2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: further info