Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British Gas DCS Alarm Sytem kaput

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: British Gas DCS Alarm Sytem kaput

Hello
    I'm sure you are not past the helping stage.
    Spares are no problem i still only fit this 1 make of alarm panel its very reliable (at the moment you probably don't agree)
    without being too specific what area do you live ?
    There are various tests and things to try, its a bit difficult thinking and typing replies (especially with these sausage fingers)
    I think a more direct form of communication is called for possibly via telephone,which i would be happy to do for you

Automated Home Lurker

I have a similar problem - I moved into a house a few weeks ago and it has a BG alarm but no manuals or codes (previous owner says he's "lost" these). I contacted BG and they said I'd need to pay for an engineer at the rate of 85 per half hour just to get it reset!

Is there any other option? Are there any useful codes or user guides available online somewhere?

If I disconnect the battery and the mains for a while will the box reset? If so, what is the default code?

(I've already had the cover off the battery box and the alarm didn't sound so does that indicate that the system isn't working properly anyway?)

Automated Home Lurker

Hi fmrl
    Welcome to my world! British Gas offered me a 12 month contract at 15/ month bell only or 35 one off payment plus 18/ month monitored. I said send me the details. Six weeks later I called again and they said 'sorry haven't we sent you details? we'll do that now'. That was two months ago and I've still not had anything. Included in the cost was one annual service and they said they'd use that to make sure everything was working ok. Sounds like you've had a different story, if we get no joy here we can both try them again but not on your 85/half hr deal.

I'll let you know if I find a solution.
    Cheers
    Top Cat

Automated Home Lurker

I had a closer look at my alarm system last night (I found a manual online so I started with *2 and *3).

It keeps reporting a fault 4 which as far as I can work out is a "cannot communicate with central station" error (I'm guessing the system has been configured by BG to talk to them but they have no record of the alarm system being installed). The fault history also reports 3 ("telephone line trouble") and 5 ("zone fault" but I couldn't figure out which zone caused the error or whether it is still a problem).

Getting this thing up and running again seems to be more trouble than it's worth at the moment. Paying 15 a month plus possibly maybe a couple of hundred for an engineer to come out and reset it would almost cover the cost of a brand new alarm system anyway. Do BG not offer just a standard alarm system with no central station and no maintenance contract?

Automated Home Lurker

Default British Gas DCS Alarm System - HELP Needed - Please

Hi

I have had a similar problem. To cut a long story short i have a British Gas DCS Alarm System and opened up the main box (there was a buzzing noise, nothing to do with the alarm but a pipe and metal detector going off). The alarm went off i entered my code no problem alarm went off. SO i shut the box back up then next time i was leaving the house i went to set the alarm and it comes up with a message "secure system before arming" and the alarm wont set.

I have tried a system test and no error messages come up.

Can anyone assist as i British gas will charge me a fortune

Cheers
    Steve