• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimber.kimber
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2017

Funny Zone Behaviour

Evening all.

In our house the upstairs toilet is separate to the bathroom. I originally set the HR92s as one “bathroom” zone, but multiple rooms. However we always found the bathroom too cold and the toilet too warm.

I recently cleared the binding on the toilet valve, and rebound it to the downstairs toilet zone, and changed the bathroom back to a single room. This allowed me to up the temp in the bathroom, but it currently is hot in there, but only reading 17.5 degrees.

Is it possible that the bathroom is still taking the temp from the toilet? Toilet is set to 18 degrees. Or do you thing something else?

Cheers,
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by kimber.kimber View Post
    Evening all.

In our house the upstairs toilet is separate to the bathroom. I originally set the HR92s as one “bathroom” zone, but multiple rooms. However we always found the bathroom too cold and the toilet too warm.

I recently cleared the binding on the toilet valve, and rebound it to the downstairs toilet zone, and changed the bathroom back to a single room. This allowed me to up the temp in the bathroom, but it currently is hot in there, but only reading 17.5 degrees.

Is it possible that the bathroom is still taking the temp from the toilet? Toilet is set to 18 degrees. Or do you thing something else?

Cheers,
    I cannot give a direct answer to your query but a solution may be not to have an HR92 in the WC. As presumably it is a very small room it could be the radiator to provide the function of boiler overrun. It will warm up whenever any zone calls for heat. My downstairs WC is always cozy!

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kimber.kimber View Post
      Evening all.

What you could have done about this in a multi-room zone would be to adjust the calibrate setting on the HR92 in the room that was too cold to a (more) negative value. In a multi-room zone each HR92 uses it's own temperature sensor and consequently it's own calibrate setting. This "cheat" would allow you to set a single temperature schedule for the two rooms that felt comfortable in both.

The only way to 100% for sure remove HR92 bindings if you are trying to move them between zones is:

Clear the binding on the HR92's themselves (go to bind then long press until it says cleared) AND change the zones in question (both affected zones) from radiator controller zone's to some other zone type - I use zone valve zones. Proceed as if you are changing it to a zone valve zone as far as you can go without actually having a relay to bind it to, then cancel out and you should find the zone now says its a zone valve zone but with no actuators bound.

Now change it back to a radiator zone and start binding the HR92's for that zone from scratch, making sure the first one is the one you want to be the sensor. This should fix your problem.

It's silly that Honeywell don't seem to provide an explicit unbind option in the controller UI - you can only unbind HR92's properly by either deleting the zone completely (losing your zone schedule) or change it to a different type of zone then back to a radiator controller zone. (which doesn't lose the schedule) If you don't follow one of these two methods you can end up with an HR92 bound to more than one zone.

By the way, the best (and low tech) method of finding out whether the correct temperature sensor is controlling a zone is to simply place the sensor in a hot (on top of a radiator) or cold (in the fridge!) environment for a few minutes and see whether the other devices in the zone report the change in temperature after about 5 minutes. There is no other way to know from sure just from the UI!

Another tip is that if you have the Wifi version of the controller you can change which device is the temperature sensor without rebinding all devices in the zone by simply going into the zone settings, choosing sensor, choosing remote sensor and binding with the device you now want to be the sensor.

You can use this approach to swap which HR92 in a zone is the sensor if you have multiple HR92's for example.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 27 February 2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• kimber.kimber
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        What you could have done about this in a multi-room zone would be to adjust the calibrate setting on the HR92 in the room that was too cold to a (more) negative value. In a multi-room zone each HR92 uses it's own temperature sensor and consequently it's own calibrate setting. This "cheat" would allow you to set a single temperature schedule for the two rooms that felt comfortable in both.

The only way to 100% for sure remove HR92 bindings if you are trying to move them between zones is:

Clear the binding on the HR92's themselves (go to bind then long press until it says cleared) AND change the zones in question (both affected zones) from radiator controller zone's to some other zone type - I use zone valve zones. Proceed as if you are changing it to a zone valve zone as far as you can go without actually having a relay to bind it to, then cancel out and you should find the zone now says its a zone valve zone but with no actuators bound.

Now change it back to a radiator zone and start binding the HR92's for that zone from scratch, making sure the first one is the one you want to be the sensor. This should fix your problem.

It's silly that Honeywell don't seem to provide an explicit unbind option in the controller UI - you can only unbind HR92's properly by either deleting the zone completely (losing your zone schedule) or change it to a different type of zone then back to a radiator controller zone. (which doesn't lose the schedule) If you don't follow one of these two methods you can end up with an HR92 bound to more than one zone.

By the way, the best (and low tech) method of finding out whether the correct temperature sensor is controlling a zone is to simply place the sensor in a hot (on top of a radiator) or cold (in the fridge!) environment for a few minutes and see whether the other devices in the zone report the change in temperature after about 5 minutes. There is no other way to know from sure just from the UI!

Another tip is that if you have the Wifi version of the controller you can change which device is the temperature sensor without rebinding all devices in the zone by simply going into the zone settings, choosing sensor, choosing remote sensor and binding with the device you now want to be the sensor.

You can use this approach to swap which HR92 in a zone is the sensor if you have multiple HR92's for example.
        Thanks for the detailed answer.

I did think about using it to cheat, but then I thought that the toilets would always be warm at the same time, so it seemed to make sense.

Last night I cleared the bindings on the HR92s and then reset them. I rebound them to the zones, and it seems to be working OK. However, I did notice that the zones still said devices bound. It would make sense if unbinding it at the HR92 would clear it from the controller as well. Clearing the binding in two places doesn't seem to make any sense!

I might go again with your suggestion tonight. Does this mean when I have moved thermostat from one zone to another, I would have had the same issue? I moved a T87RF2033 from the family room to the hall, replacing the base station as the remote sensor and vice versa. Should I have done a similar procedure to the above? I don't seem to have a problem in these rooms, but it's just a thought.

Comment

• kimber.kimber
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          I cannot give a direct answer to your query but a solution may be not to have an HR92 in the WC. As presumably it is a very small room it could be the radiator to provide the function of boiler overrun. It will warm up whenever any zone calls for heat. My downstairs WC is always cozy!
          I think I remember reading somewhere about the downside of using a rad for the boiler overrun on.

Our set up doesn't have a zone valve on the heating, I just use the HR92s to control everything and an ABV for the overrun, so there is no hot water priority. That said, I do think there is a slight issue with the ABV bypassing too early. It's a bit of a funny thing with sizing a boiler for Evohome. Our boiler is sized to run all of the rads and the hot water, but it rarely runs in this condition, so isn't as efficient as it could be. Really need to get on to balancing the radiators.

Wow, that turned into a bit of a ramble...

Comment

Working...
          X