• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oscar21
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

sky multi room

Hi all, Newbie here. Ok I regard myself as acompetent electrician and
    I understand about loft boxes and diplexing etc. But how do I get both sky boxes to distribute both signals round the house, every loft box type amplifier I have seen only has one output for the diplexer socket and one return input. I have taken 3 co-ax cables from each of the 2 main points for sky into the loft. Also a couple of cat 5e cables as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: sky multi room

Originally posted by oscar21
    I understand about loft boxes and diplexing etc. But how do I get both sky boxes to distribute both signals round the house, every loft box type amplifier I have seen only has one output for the diplexer socket and one return input.
    One way you can do it is to daisychain the RF signals for the sky boxes.

The main aerial fed will have to go to the first box then the output of that into the second sky box and then take the output of box 2 to the loftbox for distribution.

You could also diplex the second box into the loftbox provided that you DONT have an aerial connected to it. If you had the aerial signal connected to both boxes then both would be outputting terrestrial signals as well and due to different lengths of cable the signals would mess each other up.

In summary

Aerial >>> SKY1 >>>>SKY2>>>>Loftbox for distribution

or

Aerial>>> SKY1 >>>>>>\Diplexer >>Loftbox for distribution
                     SKY2>>>>>>/

If one box is SKY and the other is SKY+ then they can happily live in the same room as the IR codes are different. If both are the same type then you will have IR control problems!!

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• oscar21
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2005

Thanks Katman, I think I will go for daisy chaining, it sounds obvious now that you have said it, just out of interset, does the lnb signal split befor it goes into the loft box to feed both boxes, I presume one will be sky+ and the other a normal box.

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Each SKY box has to have its own feed from the LNB (2 feeds for a SKY+ box).

Satellite signals are transmitted in two different bands and with two different polarisations. The LNB swiches between bands in response to receiving a 22kHz tone from the satellite receiver. Switching between different polarities is achieved be varying the supply voltage sent to the LNB. This means that the LNB cable is only ever carrying 25% of the available channels at any one time.

The LNB also has to be a multi output type (usually a Quad) which will allow each receiver to select the correct band and polarity

**** FOR INFO ONLY ****

It is *technically* possible to connect two receivers to the same LNB cable but there are a number of problems in doing so. Both receivers must be receiving channels from the same band and same polarity. Changing channel on one receiver can cause the other receiver to either lose the channel altogether or end up on a completely different channels to that expected.

Regards

Keith
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• vex
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2005

I have just had the same question from one of my installers.

Global make a little device called TV Link + which is effectively a the diplexer that Katman spoke about however it has one trick up its sleeve.

It will pass the sky eye remotes signals out to both of the a sky + and a sky box allowing you to control both of them over the same coax network.
          www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
          NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• vex
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2005

Sorry, mis-informed by Global.

The device you need is a SkyPlus Combiner, this will do the splitting you need.

Chris
            www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
            NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

Working...
            X