Thread: Adding Single UFH with own valve

Automated Home Lurker

Default Adding Single UFH with own valve

Hi, I wondered if anyone has had experience with adding a separate BDR91relay for controlling a zone valve for under floor heating?

Iím fitting and plumbing a new system, the configuration I have on evohome is a new valve zone for the UFH but itís also triggering the heat demand on the rad valve. Any idea if i can rework it to only trigger the UFH relay when setting the temp for the UFH zone?

Thanks
    Mark

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Markxigen View Post
    Hi, I wondered if anyone has had experience with adding a separate BDR91relay for controlling a zone valve for under floor heating?

I’m fitting and plumbing a new system, the configuration I have on evohome is a new valve zone for the UFH but it’s also triggering the heat demand on the rad valve. Any idea if i can rework it to only trigger the UFH relay when setting the temp for the UFH zone?

Thanks
    Mark
    Yeah set it to Electric Underfloor. It'll not fire the Heating Relay then.

Automated Home Lurker

Ah yes! Nice work round. thanks for that - Iíll try that tomorrow.

Automated Home Legend

The fact that you have a zone valve on the UFH zone tells me that it's a wet UFH. This means that you do need the boiler to fire when this zone calls for heat. Setting this zone as an Electric zone will open the UFH valve, but what will fire the boiler? You could use the micro switches on the zone valves to fire the boiler though.

Automated Home Lurker

the UFH BDR91 switches the valve flow to UFH manifold and fires the boiler. I then have a seperate 240v electrical relay (off the 'B' trigger on the BDR91) that spins up the UFH manifold pump. So Switching the BDR91 to Electric is perfect.

Automated Home Lurker

Default my setup

IMG_0364.jpg
    my install with Hot Water to OSO cylinder, 2 UFH zones and 10 radiators. 1 UFH manifold is below this photo. the 1srt floor one is upstairs.
    Last edited by Markxigen; 6th March 2020 at 04:32 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

My parents runs this way, they have two boilers that heat different parts of the system and one control system (Evohome) so I had to get a way round it and using the Electric option worked well.

The issue is with the 'Zone Valve' option it fires the boiler relay and the heating relay together if it just fired the boiler relay there wouldn't be an issue.

Automated Home Legend

When you are using the Electric Zone, you then need to use the micro switch inside the motorised valve to fire the boiler. The BDR91 configured as the Boiler Relay won't fire it by itself.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    When you are using the Electric Zone, you then need to use the micro switch inside the motorised valve to fire the boiler. The BDR91 configured as the Boiler Relay won't fire it by itself.
    Yes which I believe the OP is.