• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcmturner
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2020

Evohome: Adding HR92s to radiator circuit

Hi*
    I'm hoping someone here can help advise me about a modification I'm looking to make to my Evohome system.*
    I currently have a set up with 3 zones (2 separate underfloor heating zones and one zone for all the radiators in the house). I'm looking to split up the radiators into a zone for each room with HR92s. The underfloor heating zones are independent of the radiators and I don't need to change them. Currently the radiator loop is controlled by a Y87RF thermostat linked to a wireless relay box that came with it (assume this is a BDR91). The relay is wired so that the boiler fires and an actuator valve on the radiators' circuit opens when heat is needed. My plan was to link the HR92s with the evohome controller and this existing wireless relay so that when any one of the HR92s asks for heat the*boiler will fire and the actuator*will be opened. The HR92s where heat is not needed will remain locally closed so those radiators won't get hot. In addition to this I have two towel rails that I don't intend to put HR92s on but allow them to get hot when any one of the radiators asks for heat. I have a high-level diagram of the current and proposed set up.
    CentralHeating.jpg
    However when I try to bind the HR92s with the wireless relay the binding does not work as if the HR92s and the relay are not able to communicate. From what I have read on the BDR91 it should support multiple*HR92s but I can't get it to bind even one. If I try to bind back the Y87RF this binds perfectly first time.
    Does anyone know if this set up should work in theory and if so why I may be failing to bind the HR92s to the wireless relay?
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by jcmturner View Post
    Hi*
    I'm hoping someone here can help advise me about a modification I'm looking to make to my Evohome system.*
    I currently have a set up with 3 zones (2 separate underfloor heating zones and one zone for all the radiators in the house). I'm looking to split up the radiators into a zone for each room with HR92s. The underfloor heating zones are independent of the radiators and I don't need to change them. Currently the radiator loop is controlled by a Y87RF thermostat linked to a wireless relay box that came with it (assume this is a BDR91). The relay is wired so that the boiler fires and an actuator valve on the radiators' circuit opens when heat is needed. My plan was to link the HR92s with the evohome controller and this existing wireless relay so that when any one of the HR92s asks for heat the*boiler will fire and the actuator*will be opened. The HR92s where heat is not needed will remain locally closed so those radiators won't get hot. In addition to this I have two towel rails that I don't intend to put HR92s on but allow them to get hot when any one of the radiators asks for heat. I have a high-level diagram of the current and proposed set up.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1519[/ATTACH]
    However when I try to bind the HR92s with the wireless relay the binding does not work as if the HR92s and the relay are not able to communicate. From what I have read on the BDR91 it should support multiple*HR92s but I can't get it to bind even one. If I try to bind back the Y87RF this binds perfectly first time.
    Does anyone know if this set up should work in theory and if so why I may be failing to bind the HR92s to the wireless relay?
    Thanks!
    It just may be you need to start from scratch. Remove all previous bindings and connections, delete it all, restart and then bind again. Sometimes glitches like this occur and the system is not happy until all previous records are gone.

Comment

• jcmturner
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2020

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
      It just may be you need to start from scratch. Remove all previous bindings and connections, delete it all, restart and then bind again. Sometimes glitches like this occur and the system is not happy until all previous records are gone.
      Thanks, do you think that the set up I am proposing is feasible? I'll give it a try to reset the whole thing but I'm keen to know if what I am proposing is a valid set up? Thanks!

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by jcmturner View Post
        Thanks, do you think that the set up I am proposing is feasible? I'll give it a try to reset the whole thing but I'm keen to know if what I am proposing is a valid set up? Thanks!
        There are others in this forum with greater expertise than I but what you describe with respect to how you want to use the control panel and HR92s sounds no more than that is what Evohome is designed for. I have no experience of underfloor heating. All my rooms are separate zones. One has two radiators. Each radiator has an HR92 and heat is only provided to a room that has asked for it. Apart from my lounge the HR92s are controlling the temperature. In my lounge I use the round Honeywell thermostat as the sensor. All works.

Comment

• gordonb3
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2016

The only device defined as bound to the relay should be the controller. This is the logical spider in your web. The protocol automatically creates the logical cross-sections that allow the individual HR92s to trigger the BDR91 relay without having to go through the controller. When you create additional bindings that run parallel of these cross-sections you create a conflict, especially when the controller thinks that a specific HR92 uses an external temperature sensor.

Previous tip is correct. Unbind everything and most important unbind the Y87RF from the relay. Start from scratch with the controller.

Comment

• frankmalia
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Apr 2019

page 14 and 17 should allow you to install all components correctly.

As said return system to default and start again on evohome controller

Comment

• frankmalia
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Apr 2019

I would use Y87RF in the room that you desire most comfort, maybe living room, or if you have any radiators in rooms you use alot that the hr92 could have free air movement blocked due to radiator covers or furniture.

Comment

Working...
              X