• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Sorry, it's been one of those days.
    Always one of those days here in the UK as we are confined to barracks.

It does mean I am spending time measuring rooms, calculating BTUs and radiator sizes and considering which boiler! At least I can find radiators of the same length as my existing 22 year old ones which then avoids some messy pipework as my CH pipes come out of the wall above the skirting board. What I do need to watch is some of the present day radiators can put out more BTUs than the old ones and care is needed not to over spec.

Then I will have an argument with whoever installs about (a) whether the gas pipe from meter to boiler needs to be bigger and (b) if it does the route it is to take! As for the former many fitters seem to automatically say you need a bigger supply but I understand that is not necessarily so and much depends on the boiler. I could be walking into the problem we have with Evohome in that not many installers properly know the system. Like Honeywell, Intergas have approved installers, but............!

As for boilers, and I will give him a plug!, Richard at The Intergas Shop has been very helpful with advice on what is preferable, advisable flow and returning settings etc. to ensure condensing works efficiently.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

try and see if you can achieve the 20C drop between flow and return on each radiator. that give you the maximum efficiency.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

try and see if you can achieve the 20C drop between flow and return on each radiator. that give you the maximum efficiency.
        Thanks. That was the advice I was given - 60 out 40 back.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          It does mean I am spending time measuring rooms, calculating BTUs and radiator sizes and considering which boiler! At least I can find radiators of the same length as my existing 22 year old ones which then avoids some messy pipework as my CH pipes come out of the wall above the skirting board. What I do need to watch is some of the present day radiators can put out more BTUs than the old ones and care is needed not to over spec.
          Be careful to make sure they're exactly the same width if you're trying to line up with pipe holes... I've replaced some of the older radiators in this house (circa 1980's I think ?) with more modern ones and some of the old sizes are simply not available anymore, either in terms of width or height. (only width matters for pipes of course)

In a couple of cases I've had no choice but to drill new holes through the floor to accomodate standard modern radiator widths, (which are a bit wider or narrower than the original) fortunately I was laying new flooring as well so the end result was nice and tidy. But if I wasn't redoing the flooring it would have been a bit of a messy bodge job...

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

The old imperial sizes are still available but not from the leading brands. And it shows in the quality. I replaced an old imperial with a new one and then finally had to bite the bullet and change the pipework because the replacement was such bad quality, so needed to change again.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

The old imperial sizes are still available but not from the leading brands. And it shows in the quality. I replaced an old imperial with a new one and then finally had to bite the bullet and change the pipework because the replacement was such bad quality, so needed to change again.
              It is one of my concerns, getting a size match. So far I have with metric measurements. Greater concern though is an installer who knows the product. I just hope those recommended on the Intergas site have the expertise unlike those Honeywell recommends. I am sure there are many who can remove the old boiler, tanks, and bits and pieces and put a new one back on the wall, but can they “tune” it? Will they look confused when I present the Opentherm bridge I am going to need to connect in Evohome? Will they insist I need a new gas supply line from the meter when that is not always the case? Or that the boiler needs to go in my airing cupboard as happened with my neighbour? Time will tell. Perhaps I should not start with a cynical mind?!

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Maybe Richard (Intergas Shop / Evohome Shop) will know of a good fitter in your area - especially if you buy the new boiler through his shop!

A 36kW boiler will, I think, need a 28mm gas pipe or maybe even fatter if it's a long run from the meter.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                  Maybe Richard (Intergas Shop / Evohome Shop) will know of a good fitter in your area - especially if you buy the new boiler through his shop!

A 36kW boiler will, I think, need a 28mm gas pipe or maybe even fatter if it's a long run from the meter.
                  I have Richard in mind and we have already exchanged emails!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

I have a heat only 438Kw and when it was running at full pelt it not only needed a new 28 from the gas meter to the boiler, it even needed the gas board to bring in a new main from the street to the meter. Those boilers suck...
                    And remember every pipe bend makes you lose half a bar.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

I have a heat only 438Kw and when it was running at full pelt it not only needed a new 28 from the gas meter to the boiler, it even needed the gas board to bring in a new main from the street to the meter. Those boilers suck...
                      And remember every pipe bend makes you lose half a bar.
                      That’s a big boiler?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

Sorry a Vaillant 438 is a 38Kw boiler, so pretty close to your 36Kw one.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

That’s a relief. I wondered what you were heating!

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Mar 2017

38Kw is huge for a heat only boiler really, do you live in a mansion?

I seem to recall you saying it was drastically oversized in the past....

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

Yes it was definitely oversized when it went in and contrary to old school thinking even though the house has been extended a lot since the boiler was installed, the heating requirements have actually come down, thanks to the genius of UFH and Evohome zoning. The boiler has been wound down to 18Kw for the past few years. Pity the Vaillant 438 didn't have the Auto Partial Heating load setting that a lot of the Combis have.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Mar 2017

Yes it was definitely oversized when it went in and contrary to old school thinking even though the house has been extended a lot since the boiler was installed, the heating requirements have actually come down, thanks to the genius of UFH and Evohome zoning. The boiler has been wound down to 18Kw for the past few years. Pity the Vaillant 438 didn't have the Auto Partial Heating load setting that a lot of the Combis have.
                                Biggest problem with most installers - put a biggest boiler in they can, resulting in upgrading the gas main when in reality most properties don't need it and would be more than adequate running a 15 or 18kw boiler, 24 at most.

We put a new boiler in for a 7 bed detached house last year and on full demand - rads and HW calling it only required 37kw! And that was a massive place!

Comment

Working...
                                X