Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intergas & Evohome

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The old imperial sizes are still available but not from the leading brands. And it shows in the quality. I replaced an old imperial with a new one and then finally had to bite the bullet and change the pipework because the replacement was such bad quality, so needed to change again.
    It is one of my concerns, getting a size match. So far I have with metric measurements. Greater concern though is an installer who knows the product. I just hope those recommended on the Intergas site have the expertise unlike those Honeywell recommends. I am sure there are many who can remove the old boiler, tanks, and bits and pieces and put a new one back on the wall, but can they “tune” it? Will they look confused when I present the Opentherm bridge I am going to need to connect in Evohome? Will they insist I need a new gas supply line from the meter when that is not always the case? Or that the boiler needs to go in my airing cupboard as happened with my neighbour? Time will tell. Perhaps I should not start with a cynical mind?!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Maybe Richard (Intergas Shop / Evohome Shop) will know of a good fitter in your area - especially if you buy the new boiler through his shop!

A 36kW boiler will, I think, need a 28mm gas pipe or maybe even fatter if it's a long run from the meter.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Maybe Richard (Intergas Shop / Evohome Shop) will know of a good fitter in your area - especially if you buy the new boiler through his shop!

A 36kW boiler will, I think, need a 28mm gas pipe or maybe even fatter if it's a long run from the meter.
    I have Richard in mind and we have already exchanged emails!

Automated Home Legend

I have a heat only 438Kw and when it was running at full pelt it not only needed a new 28 from the gas meter to the boiler, it even needed the gas board to bring in a new main from the street to the meter. Those boilers suck...
    And remember every pipe bend makes you lose half a bar.

Automated Home Legend

I have a heat only 438Kw and when it was running at full pelt it not only needed a new 28 from the gas meter to the boiler, it even needed the gas board to bring in a new main from the street to the meter. Those boilers suck...
    And remember every pipe bend makes you lose half a bar.
    That’s a big boiler?

Automated Home Legend

Sorry a Vaillant 438 is a 38Kw boiler, so pretty close to your 36Kw one.

Automated Home Legend

That’s a relief. I wondered what you were heating!

Automated Home Ninja

38Kw is huge for a heat only boiler really, do you live in a mansion?

I seem to recall you saying it was drastically oversized in the past....

Automated Home Legend

Yes it was definitely oversized when it went in and contrary to old school thinking even though the house has been extended a lot since the boiler was installed, the heating requirements have actually come down, thanks to the genius of UFH and Evohome zoning. The boiler has been wound down to 18Kw for the past few years. Pity the Vaillant 438 didn't have the Auto Partial Heating load setting that a lot of the Combis have.

Automated Home Ninja

Yes it was definitely oversized when it went in and contrary to old school thinking even though the house has been extended a lot since the boiler was installed, the heating requirements have actually come down, thanks to the genius of UFH and Evohome zoning. The boiler has been wound down to 18Kw for the past few years. Pity the Vaillant 438 didn't have the Auto Partial Heating load setting that a lot of the Combis have.
    Biggest problem with most installers - put a biggest boiler in they can, resulting in upgrading the gas main when in reality most properties don't need it and would be more than adequate running a 15 or 18kw boiler, 24 at most.

We put a new boiler in for a 7 bed detached house last year and on full demand - rads and HW calling it only required 37kw! And that was a massive place!