Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intergas & Evohome

Automated Home Legend

Maybe there is some sort of a hierarchy like in the ebus.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I notice from https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/co...oducts/xtreme/ that the Xtreme has "duel OpenTherm inputs". I wonder what happens when they fight?

Itís why you have to have an over run so that one can escape from the other.

The more expensive model is a lot more efficient and Richard from the Intergas Shop advises I will need the Opentherm connection twixt it and Evohome. It is more money but at my time of life I need to take on board that once paid for, that the money is dead, gone, written off, but if it produces energy cost savings, as it will then that affects cashflow.

I am getting close to biting the bullet! Well if I am not allowed out I have to consider something!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Maybe there is some sort of a hierarchy like in the ebus.
    I think you missed the joke!

Automated Home Legend

Perhaps as it is dual you could next door as well!

Automated Home Legend

Sorry, it's been one of those days.

Automated Home Legend

Sorry, it's been one of those days.
    Always one of those days here in the UK as we are confined to barracks.

It does mean I am spending time measuring rooms, calculating BTUs and radiator sizes and considering which boiler! At least I can find radiators of the same length as my existing 22 year old ones which then avoids some messy pipework as my CH pipes come out of the wall above the skirting board. What I do need to watch is some of the present day radiators can put out more BTUs than the old ones and care is needed not to over spec.

Then I will have an argument with whoever installs about (a) whether the gas pipe from meter to boiler needs to be bigger and (b) if it does the route it is to take! As for the former many fitters seem to automatically say you need a bigger supply but I understand that is not necessarily so and much depends on the boiler. I could be walking into the problem we have with Evohome in that not many installers properly know the system. Like Honeywell, Intergas have approved installers, but............!

As for boilers, and I will give him a plug!, Richard at The Intergas Shop has been very helpful with advice on what is preferable, advisable flow and returning settings etc. to ensure condensing works efficiently.

Automated Home Legend

try and see if you can achieve the 20C drop between flow and return on each radiator. that give you the maximum efficiency.

Automated Home Legend

try and see if you can achieve the 20C drop between flow and return on each radiator. that give you the maximum efficiency.
    Thanks. That was the advice I was given - 60 out 40 back.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    It does mean I am spending time measuring rooms, calculating BTUs and radiator sizes and considering which boiler! At least I can find radiators of the same length as my existing 22 year old ones which then avoids some messy pipework as my CH pipes come out of the wall above the skirting board. What I do need to watch is some of the present day radiators can put out more BTUs than the old ones and care is needed not to over spec.
    Be careful to make sure they're exactly the same width if you're trying to line up with pipe holes... I've replaced some of the older radiators in this house (circa 1980's I think ?) with more modern ones and some of the old sizes are simply not available anymore, either in terms of width or height. (only width matters for pipes of course)

In a couple of cases I've had no choice but to drill new holes through the floor to accomodate standard modern radiator widths, (which are a bit wider or narrower than the original) fortunately I was laying new flooring as well so the end result was nice and tidy. But if I wasn't redoing the flooring it would have been a bit of a messy bodge job...

Automated Home Legend

The old imperial sizes are still available but not from the leading brands. And it shows in the quality. I replaced an old imperial with a new one and then finally had to bite the bullet and change the pipework because the replacement was such bad quality, so needed to change again.