• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Biggest problem with most installers - put a biggest boiler in they can, resulting in upgrading the gas main when in reality most properties don't need it and would be more than adequate running a 15 or 18kw boiler, 24 at most.

We put a new boiler in for a 7 bed detached house last year and on full demand - rads and HW calling it only required 37kw! And that was a massive place!
    Am not convinced about this. A couple of colleagues thought 28kw was fine for their 4 bedroom detached properties and found it inadequate, particularly in the winter months when perhaps two showers were in action. One changed it for 32kw and problem was solved. Most sites I have looked at are suggesting 32kw to 38kw for a 4 bedroom detached property.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

All I can say is, 38Kw was correctly sized if I had a traditional radiator only system. But like I said, the conversions from radiators to UFH and the zoning possible with Evohome has meant that a smaller boiler could do. I wish I knew then what I know now, to challenge my plumber at the time, who knew absolutely nothing about Evohome. Anyway, we live and learn.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

@G4RHL, I think you might be confusing the heat output needed from a Combi versus a Heat only stored HW.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          Am not convinced about this. A couple of colleagues thought 28kw was fine for their 4 bedroom detached properties and found it inadequate, particularly in the winter months when perhaps two showers were in action. One changed it for 32kw and problem was solved. Most sites I have looked at are suggesting 32kw to 38kw for a 4 bedroom detached property.
          Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          @G4RHL, I think you might be confusing the heat output needed from a Combi versus a Heat only stored HW.
          Quite right, I was referring to a system boiler we fitted with an Unvented cylinder. Combis are a different matter - and you'll find on a combi it has two different outputs for HW and CH.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2017

On another note, if you have a 4 bed house, have 2 or more bathrooms and want to run two showers at once ideally you should be looking at a System Boiler and Unvented Cylinder. A combi will never be a good solution.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
              On another note, if you have a 4 bed house, have 2 or more bathrooms and want to run two showers at once ideally you should be looking at a System Boiler and Unvented Cylinder. A combi will never be a good solution.
              I too was going to say that but I am not qualified. in my case my plumber made the assessment that even a system boiler would not be ideal, so suggested a Heat Only sealed system with a Sealed DHW cylinder, so that a bigger compression tank and larger pump could be installed.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

All I can say is, 38Kw was correctly sized if I had a traditional radiator only system. But like I said, the conversions from radiators to UFH and the zoning possible with Evohome has meant that a smaller boiler could do. I wish I knew then what I know now, to challenge my plumber at the time, who knew absolutely nothing about Evohome. Anyway, we live and learn.
                It is what the plumber knows, or rather does not know, troubles me. I have had one visit from an Intergas installer, but I can’t find him on their list. I did think that whilst he could remove a boiler and put a new one in that was the limit of his ability. To talk about Opentherm and Evohome and he was lost. I await a call from a recommended installer. But as you and I have often said, recommended installers are often not what they should be - e.g. the Honeywell “experts”!

Whilst writing, in response to another posting, yes the boiler will be for HW and CH, hence something 32kw and above.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

I too was going to say that but I am not qualified. in my case my plumber made the assessment that even a system boiler would not be ideal, so suggested a Heat Only sealed system with a Sealed DHW cylinder, so that a bigger compression tank and larger pump could be installed.
                  Yes on larger systems sometimes it isn't worth fitting a System boiler as you have to start adding extra expansion vessels on, larger pumps anyway. However the system boilers are roughly the same price as a Heat Only, so I tend to just fit this and add on what is required. The larger Vaillants we fit have an additional port for an external pump so makes it quite useful. Also I prefer the design of the 6xx series system boilers compared to the 4xx range as they have different HEXs.

Also if you have a Low Loss Header the pump is then within the boiler, so no additional pump needed from the boiler to the LLH.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

My old Baxi has just been serviced (apparently running at 90% efficiency!) and the service engineer who comes every year and in the past recommended Intergas as replacement this time advised against them. He says they have had 5 failures in recent times with customers with things like seals melting and it seems there are some issues with models released in the last couple years. I am aware in this forum there are Intergas users and installers. Anybody getting similar experiences or know of these issues?

Comment

Working...
                    X