• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jemster
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2018

EvoHome Schedule save / restore

As I can't find anything on this, I'm guessing it's a no.... but it does seem simple so maybe I'm overlooking something and you guys are the EvoHome experts!

Is there any way of backing up and restoring schedules? Seems such a simple thing to do, either on a zone-by-zone basis, or all zones, or applying schedule of one zone to another zone etc...

In my instance, what I'd like to do is take a particular room (daughters bedroom) and apply a schedule to it for the weeks that she is staying with us, and set the schedule back to something different for the weeks she is away at Uni. It's painful and long-winded going through and manually making changes and trying to remember what I'd had them set to before etc...

Would also be neat to be able to backup the entire schedule settings so I could "play" and maybe find more economic combinations (e.g. is it better to run hot water with the heating, or on its own...).

The reason I say it seems simple is that the iOS App reads schedule information and writes it, so it must be accessible externally. I just haven't found a utility yet that does it and I don't have the time to go writing one myself unfortunately...
  • guyank
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

There was some fantastic work done a couple of years ago that resulted in Python scripts to do various things, including back up. See at the link. https://github.com/watchforstock/evo...ster/README.md

There’s also a sizeable thread on here titled ‘Decoded: evohome api’ or something similar.

Comment

• Jemster
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2018

Thanks for the reply guyank. I had found the thread, but at 47 pages long I admit I skimmed here and there and maybe overlooked an actual client (as opposed to a client-side library)?

The Python stuff seems great as a client library, and I've installed it, but no idea what to do next with it. The docs page on github is very light in information beyond how to install (for somebody who doesn't know anything about Python... looks like I'll be learning!). I guess scripts using it must be buried in the thread, I was hoping to find an application that would provide this functionality in an easy to use format. If not, I'll get reading
      Last edited by Jemster; 23 March 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• gordonb3
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2016

Hi,

One of the demos included in my c++ project at https://github.com/gordonb3/evohomeclient specifically aims at backup and restore of schedules. It's not a turn-key solution in the sense that it will include the schedules for all your zones in the backup, but because the restore function does not touch any of the zones that are not part of the backup file (which is in json format) a quick edit should suffice to meet your needs.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Honeywell left it out of the app. God knows why. I don’t.

Comment

• Jemster
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
            Hi,

One of the demos included in my c++ project at https://github.com/gordonb3/evohomeclient specifically aims at backup and restore of schedules. It's not a turn-key solution in the sense that it will include the schedules for all your zones in the backup, but because the restore function does not touch any of the zones that are not part of the backup file (which is in json format) a quick edit should suffice to meet your needs.
            Thanks! I had to make a slight edit to evohomeclient.cpp line 247 as the compiler decided putting that time_t into a Json::Value was an ambiguous thing. Cast it to an int and it all built successfully. I'll have a play around with it this evening and see what I can break!

G4RHL - Unbelievable isn't it. I don't understand Honeywell much. They build a smart scheduler and then don't provide anything more than a basic interface to control it.

Polish up the software and make the hardware pretty and the likes of Nest and Tado wouldn't have got a look in, IMHO!

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Jemster View Post

G4RHL - Unbelievable isn't it. I don't understand Honeywell much. They build a smart scheduler and then don't provide anything more than a basic interface to control it.

Polish up the software and make the hardware pretty and the likes of Nest and Tado wouldn't have got a look in, IMHO!
              I couldn’t agree more. Indeed the whole forum is no doubt of the same mind!

Comment

• Jemster
                Automated Home Guru
                • Dec 2018

And a quick Woohoo!

Got all my schedules downloaded now. Nice!

Now to snip the json up into zone-by-zone text files, stick them in folders and then I can write a few simple shell scripts to upload them in the combinations I want.

Gordonb3 - what's the fault tolerance like for uploading these files? i.e. will a typo in a schedule parameter cause a total system meltdown or does it cleanly reject mistakes? Errr... asking for a friend of course as I'd never be so careless...

Thanks guys for all the help.

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                  I couldn’t agree more. Indeed the whole forum is no doubt of the same mind!
                  Maybe we should set up a poll to check?

Comment

• gordonb3
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Dec 2016

@Jemster,

Thanks for the tip on the time_t value. I'll look into that. Doesn't raise an issue on my platform though, strange...

Regarding fault tolerance: from memory, if you put something illegal to the API it will ignore it. Not real sure though if it will reject the whole commit or just the illegal parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X