Thread: Old 'newbie' getting ready to install Evohome system

Automated Home Lurker

Default Old 'newbie' getting ready to install Evohome system

Hi All, As the post title says I'm planning the installation and setup of an Evohom Connect System in our 'new to us' house. I have a basic system, single-zone, thermostat in the hall, some TRVs on rads, Worcester condensing boiler, tank on landing but no tank in the attic. I think I'm getting my head around the process, but still a couple of points I need to clarify. I have a Switchmaster SW600 programmer controlling the present system. I assume this will be replaced by the Evohome BDR 1? I want to add the hot water system, but can I choose whether to use the insert or the strap-on sensor? These are probably really basic questions but basic is what I am. Any help appreciated!!
    David

Automated Home Legend

The programmer will go and be replaced by the BDR91. As for the DHW sensor, if you have a sealed unvented cylinder you will need to use the insertion sensor.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The programmer will go and be replaced by the BDR91. As for the DHW sensor, if you have a sealed unvented cylinder you will need to use the insertion sensor.
    Also remember that when you start pairing set up the HW first before pairing the TRVs.

Automated Home Lurker

Default many thanks for info'

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    many thanks for info'

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Also remember that when you start pairing set up the HW first before pairing the TRVs.
    thanks didn't know that

Automated Home Lurker

`Another basic question, I have a room with two existing rads with TRV's Do I need to replace both TRV's with the Evohome valves?
    CHEERS

Automated Home Legend

ALL radiators should ideally have TRVs and then the Evohome radiator controllers. The full benefit of Evohome is when every heat output can be controlled by the controller.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
    `Another basic question, I have a room with two existing rads with TRV's Do I need to replace both TRV's with the Evohome valves?
    CHEERS
    If the TRVs are compatible and in good working order, you only need to change the actuators. However, when I had my system installed, I had all the TRVs replaced as they were a bit of a mixture and varying ages. I thought it worth having a nice clean base to start from without wondering if any issues that might arise were due to problems with an old TRV.

Automated Home Ninja

Don't forget if you are using the HW kit with an Unvented cylinder you need to leave the Hi Limit Stat wired in series with the BDR91 to comply with regs.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks, I donít understand this but Iíll ask an electrician to have a look. 😀🙏