X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Hi Spence, welcome to the forum. If there is no boiler control, what is firing the boiler? Is it the micro switches in the zone valves? I would say now a BDR91 for boiler control is worth considering.
    Cheeky PS. PM me, if you want a BDR91 for cheaper than £60.

Comment

• spence189
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2020

Haha, thanks for getting back so quickly and your kind offer.

Both BDR91s can currently fire the boiler up independently as demand in their zone is required.

From a separate thread on here it seems like you remove the orange wires from the 2 existing BDR91s which means that they only operate the two port valves and not the boiler. Then you add the 3rd bdr91 so that it just operates the boiler.

As some of the functions I used to have have disappeared in the current setup I think I'll grab a third BDR91.

PS, the beta is working well here.

Thanks

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

The orange wires have to be removed from the boiler and not the BDR91. It's the orange wires from the zone valves that are currently firing the boiler. You don't want that to happen.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by spence189 View Post
          Haha, thanks for getting back so quickly and your kind offer.

Both BDR91s can currently fire the boiler up independently as demand in their zone is required.

From a separate thread on here it seems like you remove the orange wires from the 2 existing BDR91s which means that they only operate the two port valves and not the boiler. Then you add the 3rd bdr91 so that it just operates the boiler.

As some of the functions I used to have have disappeared in the current setup I think I'll grab a third BDR91.

PS, the beta is working well here.

Thanks
          If you are fully zoned on all rads you could choose to leave the CH valve open manually then clear and rebind its BDR91 as a boiler relay. You would not be able to prioritize DHW if you do this (and I am getting more convinced that this is the best DHW control option with every stored hot water system I see convert) so I would recommend taking Bruce's offer... I may know where he got the spare BDR91 from
          Regards AtM
          Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

I seem to have a stock of BDR91s because of all the wall sensors I have and these come bundled with them.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Hang on - is it true that you can't enable load scaling if you don't have an explicit boiler (appliance) control relay ?

I haven't seen this mentioned before and since the heating relay also does TPI I don't see why this would be the case ?

Comment

• spence189
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Nov 2020

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                The orange wires have to be removed from the boiler and not the BDR91. It's the orange wires from the zone valves that are currently firing the boiler. You don't want that to happen.
                Ok thanks, luckily I won't be touching that side of it but at least I can explain to my plumber

Comment

• spence189
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2020

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Hang on - is it true that you can't enable load scaling if you don't have an explicit boiler (appliance) control relay ?

I haven't seen this mentioned before and since the heating relay also does TPI I don't see why this would be the case ?
                  I can't, it did seem odd....

Comment

• spence189
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2020

Here are the various screens from my controller

IMG_20201123_162106.jpg
                    IMG_20201123_162111.jpg
                    IMG_20201123_162122.jpg

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

I know I will start another debate about the merits or otherwise of having a BDR91 on the main CH zone valve, but one of the reasons I landed up with a spare was because I don't have one on my CH valve, since all the rads are controlled by an HR control. So that is another option to consider, if you actually need to control the CH zone valve. My CH zone valve is just wiring in parallel to my boiler pumps. So it's not latched open but doesn't really operate as a CH zone valve either. And this way, I can still heat up towel rails with no HR controls on them, and frost protect is ensured too.
                      Last edited by bruce_miranda; 23 November 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• mazzy89
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2020

I've enrolled today. My device out of the box came with 19.31. I wanted to receive 19.33. Then I asked to join the beta but I was downgraded to 17.03. Now waiting to receive the approval message. How long does it usually take?

Comment

• mazzy89
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Nov 2020

Seems I got the update right this morning and I'm now at 19.33. How can I get access to the smart feature like the weather one? in the 19.31 i was able to double touch in the left corner and a pop up would appear in the 19.33 this does not happen.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

Under Settings, Smart Features

Comment

• filbert
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Oct 2017

I have held off joining the beta trial, thinking that it would soon be over and we’d get the release version! Also, I’m not a tinkerer any more and like to go for a quiet life. It’s now been 9 months or so, since the beta started and I’m beginning to wonder if I should go for it, it seems pretty robust, from what I can gather.

Can Andy, or anyone else, give any indication of a likely timeframe for the release version - I suspect the answer will be negative.

Should I bite the bullet?

Comment

• mazzy89
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Nov 2020

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                                Under Settings, Smart Features
                                Unfortunately there is nothing there and I'm running 19.33

Comment

Working...
                                X