X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Although I am not using the beta version I could not support the statement “optimisation works brilliantly in my experience” for my experience after many years use has always been that it never seemed to learn a room, always came on far too early, so I abandoned it and used a schedule setting which in my case is more efficient, economical and effective.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

And hence why if a per zone Optimisation was still possible, then its usefulness would have been so much better. Even if was not perfect, I wouldn't mind the heating coming on a bit earlier in certain rooms. I would absolutely not want it coming on earlier in the entire house. This for me is the single biggest backward step from moving up from the non WiFi to the WiFi models. Believe it or not, even today, I recommend the non WiFi panel to people because so far there is absolutely nothing that the WiFi model does that is genuinely better.
      I come back to the point. Evohome is a zoning product. So features should allow zones to be treated as such.

Comment

• CT1
        Automated Home Guru
        • Apr 2016

I have to agree with peterf and bruce_miranda. If I had not found this forum, I would have been pestering my installer with a lot of questions at the beginning. As it was, I was able to give him some tips found here, even though mine was the 5th system he had installed, including his own. My system was installed soon after the switch to the wifi controller, I am beginning to envy those with the previous version. I am not in the trial as I do not want, or need, many of the existing “smart” features and the current system already confuses the rest of the family because they do not want to spend hours researching it’s foibles. I do not have any experience of other smart systems, but could only recommend EvoHome for the tech savvy who need completely independent zone control. A rather limited customer base.

Maybe it would work better if I lived to a very structured organised schedule and only used one heat source, then I could have got the installer to set it up and just left it alone? Although even the I would have to pay for a regular visit to get the controller batteries to charge properly etc.

I am contemplating disconnecting it from wifi to avoid this so called upgrade, but then I would be forced to use the horrible unresponsive touch screen rather than the app and could not turn the system on remotely when on my way home after being out on a cold day. In the end I will probably have to operate the HW manually to minimise interference with the heating.

Comment

• CT1
          Automated Home Guru
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by peterf View Post
          For all Stanley Kubrick fans, the phrase “I can’t let you do that Dave” comes to mind.

I guess many people on this forum have a technical bent and many have considerable experience in system design and implementation. I’m essentially just an observer in this process as I have the non-wifi model that satisfies my requirements very well. Optimisation works brilliantly in my experience and I appreciate being able to tie into IFTTT for geofencing.

I’m not fully conversant with the differences between my version of the controller and the current version but I haven’t seen anything in this thread that would make me want to upgrade. In particular, I’d have misgivings with a system that used an Internet temperature source as a component in its operation, living, as I do, in a village that encompasses a flat plateau and a deep valley.

It seems to me that Honeywell have a problem with this product in that they can’t decide whether to market it to end users (as many of their current competitors do), or to the trade.

With the changes being incorporated, quite apart from the perceived system faults that DBMandrake and SteveP have mentioned, this will add to the marketing challenges as any likely adoptee is going to want to know in some detail how it works.

And it's just got a lot more complicated.
          Yesterday morning EvoHome was reporting a temperature 3 degrees below the actual outside temperature and 1 degree below that reported by my Alexa. At lunch time today they all agree. I do not see how this can be the basis of an acurate control system.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by CT1 View Post
            Yesterday morning EvoHome was reporting a temperature 3 degrees below the actual outside temperature and 1 degree below that reported by my Alexa. At lunch time today they all agree. I do not see how this can be the basis of an acurate control system.
            Hey, what goes on here, I spent 20 minutes yesterday replying to this and explaining the operation.
            But it's late and it's been a very long day, so for now... no we dont base temperature control on this weather data. I will explain more when I'm less fed up.
            AtM
            Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• guyank
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Andy the Minion View Post
              @guyank Thanks for the MAC id. We had a look at the system and as best we can tell the 5°C are all being caused by system off quick actions with reversions to Eco or Day off a few minutes later. The changes appear to be from the App.
              As a general point, the ‘big’ quick actions in a large system do generate a lot of Rf traffic and especially when they come in quick succession there will be sp messages sent in all directions to all zones, with repeats and answers with demand messages from all the zones. This is prime territory for Rf comms classes and missed messages. The system will recover but if you are paying close attention you may notice zones that stay in a previous state until things quieten down the regular message repeats allow it to catch up again
              Andy,

Thanks for the response. I don't see how this could be happening only to one zone if it's coming from the app. You can't apply a quick action to a a single zone. I'll look at my SmartThings logs to see if anything's trying implement a quick action, but I don't see what would at that time of day, especially as it appears to coincide with when optimisation would start.

Thanks

Guyan

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Question for those running the beta version. Is the clock on the Control Panel more accurate? Mine always runs a couple of minutes fast. I can reset it but it eventually defaults again. I assume it is where it connects to but other devices in the house getting their time from the internet are all fine. Well they all read the same time. Some are bound to as they will pick it up through the same router.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

This is a known issue even with previous versions.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    Question for those running the beta version. Is the clock on the Control Panel more accurate? Mine always runs a couple of minutes fast. I can reset it but it eventually defaults again. I assume it is where it connects to but other devices in the house getting their time from the internet are all fine. Well they all read the same time. Some are bound to as they will pick it up through the same router.
                    @G4RHL This ‘error’ is intentional and was a TCC thing. There are a lot of devices connected to TCC around the world and schedules tend to be based on the hour and half hour intervals The cloud team impose a random 2-3 minute deliberate offset on device real time that prevents ‘the world‘ all sending commands at exactly the same instance. It would be possible to offset this on the display but then there would be a difference between actions and the display so I guess they went with a time error but true operation at the device. I would expect your device restart when the firmware was pushed gave you a lower offset when the device reconnected and updated the rtc.
                    AtM
                    Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• roydonaldson
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Jan 2013

@G4RHL This ‘error’ is intentional and was a TCC thing. There are a lot of devices connected to TCC around the world and schedules tend to be based on the hour and half hour intervals The cloud team impose a random 2-3 minute deliberate offset on device real time that prevents ‘the world‘ all sending commands at exactly the same instance. It would be possible to offset this on the display but then there would be a difference between actions and the display so I guess they went with a time error but true operation at the device. I would expect your device restart when the firmware was pushed gave you a lower offset when the device reconnected and updated the rtc.
                      AtM
                      A good idea, but definately a lazy implementation. The time on the device should be accurate, but the offset should then be being applied to the sending api. I do understand the challenge, having worked on projects before where we see hundred thousand odd devices hitting server farms simultaneously. Random based requests and backoff windows work well.

Comment

• CT1
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Apr 2016

AtM
                        Good to have an explanation at last, thanks for that. However, I agree with roydonaldson. This is another oddity that is potentially confusing for the non geek and makes EvoHome appear unsophisticated, especially for a product at this price point.

Comment

• CT1
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Apr 2016

Hey, what goes on here, I spent 20 minutes yesterday replying to this and explaining the operation.
                          But it's late and it's been a very long day, so for now... no we dont base temperature control on this weather data. I will explain more when I'm less fed up.
                          AtM
                          My sympathies, I have always found that my login expires before I can finish any but a short post. I now copy the text before posting, that way if it gets lost, I can Log in again and paste it back. The auto save does not always work for me.

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by CT1 View Post
                            Good to have an explanation at last, thanks for that. However, I agree with roydonaldson. This is another oddity that is potentially confusing for the non geek and makes EvoHome appear unsophisticated, especially for a product at this price point.
                            It is nice to have an admission and an explanation but, whilst it is a minor issue, my heating always starts up nearly two minutes before it should. But then with that, who needs optimisation?!

Comment

• sminkypinky155
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2015

Here's a strange one for Andy the Minion.

We have a room (our room) in our setup that whenever the cold weather boost kicks in without fail receives a new set point 2 degrees higher than its actual set point. When the new software was sent to us I changed the setting to boost up to 1 degree, as I felt the maximum of 1.5 was too high. Now this room is going into new territory

Could you have a look at this for me please?

Comment

• jb80
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Aug 2018

I am interested to know whether the "Adaptive Load Scaling" modulation feature increases wear and tear on the boiler because of the frequent stop/start behaviour. I was thinking about this whilst watching this Vaillant video about their modulating thermostat which I gather is varying the power rather than switching the boiler on/off. My thoughts are whether the reduced energy costs using "Adaptive Load Scaling" modulation is offset by the increased wear and tear on the boiler. As a home owner I'd prefer to spend a few extra quid on energy to avoid replacing/servicing the boiler sooner than planned. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X