Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616667686970717273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome firmware 02.00.19.31 Beta Trial - Exclusive for Automated Home Members

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsmart View Post
    I hope to have my multi-HCC80R UFH setup installed next week. As I understand it the HCC80 will employ TPI, so there will be times when an OpenTherm boiler is running with a lower flow temperature but the HCC80 actuators may all be closed. Then after some time, depending on the demand in that zone, an actuator opens. Is that the behaviour you are observing?
    Yes. Or sometimes I've noticed the actuators open but the boiler doesn't run. Just seems like it does a lot of "fuzzy" logic, that is messing around too much. Sometimes even when it is a couple of degrees off the setpoint it can switch off the pumps and actuators for 5 minutes (which really doesn't help anything). With a pretty well setup flow rate it doesn't need to modulate things as much as it seem to try.

An example this evening. Temperature setpoint 21C. Room nicely constant at that temperature. Wife says she's abit cold so I knock it up to 23C. UFH pump activated and actuators open. 5-10 minutes later they switch off. I look on the Evohome and it says the UFH demand is 49% (presumably why it is cycling the pump and actuators). That's just nonsense as UFH doesn't respond to a 2C increase in room temperature by cycling on/off every 5-10 minutes!
    Last edited by simonh29; 3rd December 2020 at 10:34 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
    I've filled up the form, hopefully, it is still possible to join the beta phase.
    I suppose I have a setup that might get usefull (mix of HR91/HR92, a few zones with multiple valves, and a few with a separate thermostat, and separate DHW managed by the boiler directly, OT Gateway & LMU64 w/ OT for the boiler control). Nothing too fancy though. All readings are traced by Domoticz, with both API & HGI80.

I would probably be able to confirm to bruce the HGI80 reading status on Domiticz with the new firmware. We'll see.
    Update received, I'm running now the 19.33

Automated Home Jr Member

I hope the new firmware fixes the intermittent locking up problem.
    The clock on my unit stopped at 5:22 this morning and the heating didn't come on.
    I had to disconnect the batteries to get it going again.
    Brrrrrrrrr!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    I hope the new firmware fixes the intermittent locking up problem.
    The clock on my unit stopped at 5:22 this morning and the heating didn't come on.
    I had to disconnect the batteries to get it going again.
    Brrrrrrrrr!
    I take it you're not on 19.31 or 19.33 ?

That's a well known problem on older firmware versions (discussed a lot on this forum) and it has bitten me personally twice, but it's a long time since it last happened to me, maybe a couple of years.

Has anyone had this clock stall happen on 19.31 or 19.33 ? I haven't, but because its so long since it last happened prior to switching to the beta firmware versions I'm not sure that proves anything.

Automated Home Lurker

Not happened to me.

Automated Home Jr Member

No I'm not on the beta firmware.
    It's happened four or five times to me.

Automated Home Jr Member

I've had to disable load scaling again (This time from partial)

The Lounge will not reach its setpoint.
    Despite a 49% demand for this zone and some demand for other zones the boiler demand is 3%

I've attached a shot of the System Summary with load scaling enabled together with the System Parameters.
    Then I've attached a System Summary after Load Scaling is disabled.

@Atm Is there any obvious reason why this is affecting me in this way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Automated Home Jr Member

There was another zone on the second screen that only required 2%

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by simonh29 View Post
    Yes. Or sometimes I've noticed the actuators open but the boiler doesn't run. Just seems like it does a lot of "fuzzy" logic, that is messing around too much. Sometimes even when it is a couple of degrees off the setpoint it can switch off the pumps and actuators for 5 minutes (which really doesn't help anything). With a pretty well setup flow rate it doesn't need to modulate things as much as it seem to try.

An example this evening. Temperature setpoint 21C. Room nicely constant at that temperature. Wife says she's abit cold so I knock it up to 23C. UFH pump activated and actuators open. 5-10 minutes later they switch off. I look on the Evohome and it says the UFH demand is 49% (presumably why it is cycling the pump and actuators). That's just nonsense as UFH doesn't respond to a 2C increase in room temperature by cycling on/off every 5-10 minutes!

I've been monitoring things via Domoticz and the RGI80. I think the UFH control and the Evohome are almost like two separate things. Basically, the UFH is a TPI controller and so the room will be set to 30% and switch on/off to achieve that. The OpenTherm boiler will then be set to say a level and that will do it's own thing, sometime it even gets switched to 10% or so which turns off the boiler altogether while the floor controller is still on/off at a certain interval. Sometimes, it will fire the boiler at 100% which is silly considering it is UFH and doesn't need such high temperature delivering to the mixing valve on the manifold.

I'm not sure what knowledge the Evohome has of the UFH control. It seems to treat it more like you would a radiator valve with hot water rather than a long slow warm water device. I don't know why it doesn't have any UFH Water Temperature setting where it could act more wisely in understanding how high to fire the boiler when the UFH is the only thing calling for heat, and it also seems to drop the UFH manifold % far too low too quickly when a bigger 2C heat requirement is needed.

Automated Home Legend

It is for all these reasons that I didn't bother with the UFH controller, besides the fact that in my case the entire manifold is serving one large generally open plan area. The real benefit would have been lower flow temperatures for UFH but that doesn't appear to be the case. But I'm not entirely happy with the BDR91 running the UFH either because of its inbuilt TPI functionality that I cannot turn off.