X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

I've seen a strange new behaviour on my EvoHome. When I open the front door, the hallway sensor detects the drop in temperature and so sets that zone to 5C. Which I believe is correct and has worked before. However, now on the EvoHome this looks like it's now been set as a permanent 5C and so last night I noticed about 4 hours later that the zone was still set to 5C and had not restored itself ?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

That sounds like the Open Window setting getting stuck as a Permanent Override.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Andy the Minion View Post
        DB The system does operate below 10% but not as you describe. A sub 1min firing cycle is generally very inefficient so the cycle rate is altered instead
        AtM
        Hi Andy,

Isn't that exactly what I suggested though ? That heat demands of less than 10% still fire the boiler but for a minimum of 1 minute ? (10% duty cycle for the default 6 cycles per hour)

In older pre-beta versions of the firmware a heat demand of less than 10% would trigger the heating relay (for sub minute lengths of time) but not the boiler relay at all. Has this changed in the current beta versions ?

Can you describe how heat demands below 10% are handled in the latest firmware on a three relay system with boiler relay ?
        Last edited by DBMandrake; 28 September 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
          I've seen a strange new behaviour on my EvoHome. When I open the front door, the hallway sensor detects the drop in temperature and so sets that zone to 5C. Which I believe is correct and has worked before. However, now on the EvoHome this looks like it's now been set as a permanent 5C and so last night I noticed about 4 hours later that the zone was still set to 5C and had not restored itself ?
          Doesn't sound right. Open Window mode still seems to work correctly here on the latest Beta. I've triggered it inadvertently a few times lately (with doors rather than windows) and haven't noticed any problems.

Comment

• roydonaldson
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            That sounds like the Open Window setting getting stuck as a Permanent Override.
            Thanks. Yes, that does look like exactly what I'm experiencing.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              Hi Andy,

Isn't that exactly what I suggested though ? That heat demands of less than 10% still fire the boiler but for a minimum of 1 minute ? (10% duty cycle for the default 6 cycles per hour)

In older pre-beta versions of the firmware a heat demand of less than 10% would trigger the heating relay (for sub minute lengths of time) but not the boiler relay at all. Has this changed in the current beta versions ?
              DB,
              I don't think anything has changed in low load operation sub 10% (1 min in 10min, 6 cph) the cycle rate is sacraficed to maintain a min on time
              AtM
              Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• Scubajoe
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                Thanks. Yes, that does look like exactly what I'm experiencing.
                I've experienced this pre-beta, haven't noticed it recently.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Andy the Minion View Post
                  DB,
                  I don't think anything has changed in low load operation sub 10% (1 min in 10min, 6 cph) the cycle rate is sacraficed to maintain a min on time
                  AtM
                  By "sacrificed" do you mean that TPI cycles with less than 10% demand are just skipped ?

Comment

• Mid112
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • May 2019

I have had a huge issues with this 1min on 1off, i think there is another unresolved thread about it.

Im on the beta fw and i think evo works a bit better with latest fw however i dont think its fully resolved.

Before i had 4% demand on evo and boiler was fairing without any heat being able to reach rads. At the moment i can see much higher heating demand on evo ie 17% but it may be a case of evo still learning.

In my case the boiler was firing with max CH temperature for a minute rather than a lowest one when it was cycling 1min on/9 off.

Tbh if i known that this is how opentherm works i would stay with brd91.

I reached boiler installers and evohomeshop and they all put heads in the sand.
                    I suspect it may be a side effect of opentherm that they dont want clinets to find out.

Lets be honest this cycling wastes energy and definetly can be improved.

Before im crucified by an opentherm evangelist thats my personal opinion based on personal experience based on many reported similar cases.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Mid112 View Post
                      I have had a huge issues with this 1min on 1off, i think there is another unresolved thread about it.

Im on the beta fw and i think evo works a bit better with latest fw however i dont think its fully resolved.

Before i had 4% demand on evo and boiler was fairing without any heat being able to reach rads. At the moment i can see much higher heating demand on evo ie 17% but it may be a case of evo still learning.

In my case the boiler was firing with max CH temperature for a minute rather than a lowest one when it was cycling 1min on/9 off.

Tbh if i known that this is how opentherm works i would stay with brd91.

I reached boiler installers and evohomeshop and they all put heads in the sand.
                      I suspect it may be a side effect of opentherm that they dont want clinets to find out.

Lets be honest this cycling wastes energy and definetly can be improved.

Before im crucified by an opentherm evangelist thats my personal opinion based on personal experience based on many reported similar cases.
                      What boiler do you have? EvoHome does employ on/off control with OpenTherm under low load situations, but for me it is always at lower temperatures, typically under 40C.

Have you connected an OpenTherm gateway to monitor the flow temperature request? It could be that what you are observing is the boiler firing with its startup fan rpm at say 40% before modulating down, but the requested flow temperature is soon overshot by 5C resulting in the boiler turning off, starting its anti-cycle.

You may be able to tweak some of your boiler parameters to improve e.g. if you have Intergas, but fundamentally your boiler probably can’t modulate down low enough to satisfy the kW output needed, so you end up in this on/off situation with the boiler firing at higher output for short intervals.

Comment

• Mid112
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • May 2019

I have Intergas xclusive 30 - it can modulate by design to 25C by design If I remeber correctly with 30C set by default.

So what has been happening was that when there was very low heat demand ie 4% on evohome - boiler would cycle with MAX set temperature set for CH ie 70C for a minute causing pipe below boiler to be flameing hot while others rads being barely warm. It was always MAX CH set on boiler - when I changed to 60C - it was cycling with 60C instead of 70C.

During this weird cycling boiler never modulated down - it was staying constant 70C for a minute of so.

I have tweaked numerous settings on the boiler but I think getting this beta FW and changing output to 75% helped a bit.

You may be able to tweak some of your boiler parameters to improve e.g. if you have Intergas, but fundamentally your boiler probably can’t modulate down low enough to satisfy the kW output needed, so you end up in this on/off situation with the boiler firing at higher output for short intervals.

This is exactly what has been happening - but if its a case thats a clear fault to me. In my understandig if this is a case boiler should answer with min flow temp - not the highest one.

Its like buying a brand new hybrid car - advertised that car will use battery and save a fuel when driving on motorway but when its parked on your driveway it will start engine every 10 mins for 1 min with max RPM burning petrol.

Thats a pure madness or a fault
                        Last edited by Mid112; 30 September 2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Sep 2018

> Thats a pure madness or a fault

That doesn’t sound right, do you see your boiler responding correctly to OpenTherm lower temperatures?

What is your P057 parameter set to? If set to 2, “respond to heat demand with maximum set flow temperature (on/off function)”. That should be set to 0 or 1. Sounds like for some reason your boiler is in mode 2.

If I were you I would connect an OpenTherm gateway to check what flow temperatures EvoHome is requesting.

Comment

• Mid112
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • May 2019

The boiler responds fine and modulates between 40-70c depending on actual usage.

57 is set either to 0 or 1 - it doesnt make much difference which on is actually set

Is definetely not on on/off.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

I have an older Intergas boiler and don't see anything even remotely like this behaviour. Something is very wrong with your setup - it shouldn't be doing that, and it isn't doing that by design.

Comment

• Mid112
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • May 2019

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                                I have an older Intergas boiler and don't see anything even remotely like this behaviour. Something is very wrong with your setup - it shouldn't be doing that, and it isn't doing that by design.
                                I rebinded and reset everything twice with evohome support.
                                Swapped Opentherm for a newer one - same issue.

Just to say - this issue happens only when a demand on evehome is only a couple of % If I remeber correctly 4 or 6%.

But the latest FW has defo improved the issue and it doesnt happen, at least not that often.
                                Last edited by Mid112; 30 September 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X