Thread: Combi boilers to work with Evohome

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Combi boilers to work with Evohome

Hi folks,

My vintage (probably 1988) Ideal Mexico boiler has started making alarming noises (like a kettle heating up but much louder and seems to be magnified by the pipework) and I think it's time to think about replacing it. I have other reasons to want a combi - increasing hot water pressure: a) in an attic room and b) for a thermostatic shower, for example.

I seem to remember a thread about boilers that work well with Evohome but can't find it - and it's probably dated by now anyway.

What boilers do work well with Evohome? I'm inclined towards Worcester as they're local and I had good experience with one in our last house (but that was over 20 years ago)

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I went for Intergas. They play really well with Evohome via Opentherm, and I liked the mechanical simplicity (no diverter valve, for starters - they always seem to fail with Combi boilers).

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I went for Intergas. They play really well with Evohome via Opentherm, and I liked the mechanical simplicity (no diverter valve, for starters - they always seem to fail with Combi boilers).
    Replaced my fan on my 23 year old boiler two weeks ago but like you it does now sound like a boiling kettle. My radiators are the same age and recommendations are to replace with up to date efficient units. Causing me to re-think the way forward. It would have been Intergas but the writing is on the wall with respect to using natural gas, although for existing installations it will be there for a few years yet, an electric boiler is a waste and it is making me look at a dry electric system. A new gas boiler will never save me enough to pay for it all and itís life expectancy wonít be like my existing one. Logic says rethink. So far from advice received the replacement cost of a decent dry system is more than replacing my wet system but I wonít have to replace it again for a long long time and save on service costs so that eventually the capital outlay today is less. Looking at running costs has not been easy but it is beginning to look like it will cost me somewhere between £150 to £200 per annum more than I pay for gas but then I wonít have any servicing or repair bills nor the capitals cost issues in some years time when I need to replace again.

I have not made a final decision yet but I may have some Evohome gear for sale!!