• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fly100
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    I wanted to add some feedback a couple of of days ago regarding load scaling but have been rather tied up. Having run with Normal mode (on the basis of previous posts regarding what is deemed "well insulated" as my house is timber frame and has heat recovery ventilation ) and I also set the boiler to 70c (as recommended by DBMandrake) and I have found the house much more "stable" temperature wise regardless of the outside temp. Normally I have to keep adjusting my boiler temp dependant upon outside temperature (as not opentherm) but this is the first year I haven't and can just leave it up high and am not getting the usual overshoots or under temp issues so getting a "thumbs up" from me.
    Would still be nice to have some feedback on the outside temperature "black box" process ?
    What is your return flow water Temp ? 70C seems high for a modern highly insulated house.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fly100 View Post
      What is your return flow water Temp ? 70C seems high for a modern highly insulated house.
      I just wanted to add that I didn't "recommend" 70C to anyone. Obviously the optimal flow temperature depends heavily on the size of your radiators, insulation in the house, whether your boiler is condensing or not... (my boiler is not a condensing boiler so doesn't have to try to get flow temperature below the condensing threshold for efficiency)

What I did say was that I use 70C in the winter, and that since Load Scaling was added I no longer have to turn it down (to 60C) in warmer months to avoid uncomfortable overshoots in room temperatures - the load scaling algorithm largely avoids these overshoots so I've found I can just leave it set to 70C pretty much year round.

Comment

• SteveP
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        I just wanted to add that I didn't "recommend" 70C to anyone. Obviously the optimal flow temperature depends heavily on the size of your radiators, insulation in the house, whether your boiler is condensing or not... (my boiler is not a condensing boiler so doesn't have to try to get flow temperature below the condensing threshold for efficiency)

What I did say was that I use 70C in the winter, and that since Load Scaling was added I no longer have to turn it down (to 60C) in warmer months to avoid uncomfortable overshoots in room temperatures - the load scaling algorithm largely avoids these overshoots so I've found I can just leave it set to 70C pretty much year round.
        woops my bad I did a "Boris" and "misspoke" - yes it wasn't a "recommendation" but just aligned with my habits of having to change the boiler flow temp in warmer weather vs colder. I have a 30 year old house and a non-condensing boiler (combi) and I designed and installed the CH system which because it is a timber frame house etc I specd close to the house requirements with little contingency (yep I am not a CH engineer and "learnt" a lot from mistakes - theory vs practice !!) So I do need to keep the boiler at its higher setting when very cold and the load scaling just allows me to not have to keep changing the flow temp

Comment

• Jobjohn
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jun 2020

Hello.

Sorry to jump on this thread, I have read back most of the pages (took a couple of weeks). As a new Evohome owner, and got it all setup, I am keen to access some of the newer features. Do we know when this firmware is likely to be released to all consumers, will it be before this autumn and winter is over?

Thanks all, great info here.

Comment

• metaljay
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Mar 2020

no one knows, I signed up to the beta the other week and didn't receive any response

Comment

• robbietobbie
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2020

I’m a total newbie here so go easy. Had a fire in my house (if you are thinking of changing your halogen lights do not hesitate please) and had a total re-plumb. I was recommended to Evohome with an Intergas.
              I found this thread, applied this week and got the beta (if it still is beta). I have one big question:
              In every other previous house there is a thermostat which I set to 22 and a timer which goes off at 10.30pm. Occasionally me and the missus stay up late and I walk to the timer to “boost” the CH for another hour. As far as I can tell, even with all the Quick Actions on Evohome, nothing replicates this.
              On Evohome the “timer element” sets the Set Point to 16 degrees after 10.30pm. If I want an hour’s more heat at 10.45pm I have to turn the SP up and switch on for an hour which is more longwinded than walking to the old timer and hitting boost (I don’t want to think so late at night). Is there any way of having a button which boosts the CH in a zone and automatically returns the SP to the PREVIOUS SetPoint? Tell me if that is a rubbish idea or if I’ve missed the way of doing that.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Sep 2018

Originally posted by robbietobbie View Post
                I’m a total newbie here so go easy. Had a fire in my house (if you are thinking of changing your halogen lights do not hesitate please) and had a total re-plumb. I was recommended to Evohome with an Intergas.
                I found this thread, applied this week and got the beta (if it still is beta). I have one big question:
                In every other previous house there is a thermostat which I set to 22 and a timer which goes off at 10.30pm. Occasionally me and the missus stay up late and I walk to the timer to “boost” the CH for another hour. As far as I can tell, even with all the Quick Actions on Evohome, nothing replicates this.
                On Evohome the “timer element” sets the Set Point to 16 degrees after 10.30pm. If I want an hour’s more heat at 10.45pm I have to turn the SP up and switch on for an hour which is more longwinded than walking to the old timer and hitting boost (I don’t want to think so late at night). Is there any way of having a button which boosts the CH in a zone and automatically returns the SP to the PREVIOUS SetPoint? Tell me if that is a rubbish idea or if I’ve missed the way of doing that.
                The way I do this is with an IFTTT button widget on my phone.

You can create an Applet like 'If Button press Then Set a zone temperature Living-Dining 21 Celsius 1 Hours'.

It's slightly more complicated to create Applets to boost several zones. You can set an Apilio variable e.g. 'update the variable "BoostHeat" to true in Apilio' and for each zone have 'If IFTTT receives a "BoostHeat" event from Apilio, then set a zone temperature'.

Not as convenient as having a simple button on the controller though!

Comment

• Somebody
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Feb 2019

@robbietobbie Do you have Alexa? There's integration with Alexa and I ask Alexa to turn up the temperature in that room, which Evohome will keep until the next set point. I have a set point at midnight or just after set at 15 degrees C in case I forget to turn it back down.
                  Last edited by Somebody; 23 October 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• pnharrison
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Oct 2020

Accidental Beta Tester?

Hi all,

New member here but an Evohome user since 2015.
                    Having moved into a larger property I've just installed a new Evohome setup on an S-plan, 3 x BRD91s (Boiler, CH and HW relays) using DBMandrake's alternative wiring approach to keep CH valve open with pump overrun. That works great.

But I have a few issues;

Firstly the HW Priority drove me crazy for about a week trying to figure out why the CH realy would switch off when HW switches on. Only after much Googling did I find some info here; that it's new feature not mentioned in any user documentation. (and I really don't like this not being optional).

This morning I was woken up at 6am with my main bedroom temp set to 35 degrees, boiler firing, HR92 wide open. The schedule was 21 deg at 8am! That seems to be a serious issue !?

There seems to be a bug with the HW control. The Evohome does not warm up the stored hot water; when the CH and HW are set to ON. HW tank is at full temp (55 deg), then a bath is run; and the stored HW temp now drops low (ie 18 degrees). Wait for hours, but the HW won't come on unless i manually turn off the CH.

I've looked at my SW version at it's 02.00.19.31. Do I accidentally have beta software?

Comment

• robbietobbie
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Oct 2020

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
                      The way I do this is with an IFTTT button widget on my phone.

You can create an Applet like 'If Button press Then Set a zone temperature Living-Dining 21 Celsius 1 Hours'.

It's slightly more complicated to create Applets to boost several zones. You can set an Apilio variable e.g. 'update the variable "BoostHeat" to true in Apilio' and for each zone have 'If IFTTT receives a "BoostHeat" event from Apilio, then set a zone temperature'.

Not as convenient as having a simple button on the controller though!
                      Thanks - works beautifully. If it was that simple maybe it should be native to the controller as you say!

Comment

• frankmalia
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Apr 2019

I'm sure you know but just incase. 4 main methods, without going down Alexa or IFTTT route

1 - Turn zone TRV knob to desired setpoint, problem with this is it runs until next schedule setpoint change

2 Evo home click on zone, change temperature to desired, set time to revert back to schedule temperature press tick
                        Evohome.jpg

3 Phone/Table App - Tap on zone change setpoint, select time to revert back to schedule.

App1.jpgApp2.jpgApp4.jpg

4 Evohome Webpage App - same as above

Evohome webpage.jpg

Comment

• frankmalia
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Apr 2019

Alexa Method

“Alexa make my Living Room 21 degrees for 1 hour”

Last edited by frankmalia; 23 October 2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by pnharrison View Post
                            New member here but an Evohome user since 2015.
                            Firstly the HW Priority drove me crazy for about a week trying to figure out why the CH realy would switch off when HW switches on. Only after much Googling did I find some info here; that it's new feature not mentioned in any user documentation. (and I really don't like this not being optional).
                            You must be on the first beta version 19.31 then. Hot water priority was first added in the 19.31 beta as a mandatory feature and as its a beta release the public documentation doesn't match how the beta behaves, not surprisingly.

However in the 2nd beta 19.33 a preference setting was added to the system installer page to let you choose whether you want hot water priority or not.

Like you I strongly prefer no hot water priority for my particular system so I was extremely glad to see the option added in the 2nd beta after a few of us kept pestering the Honeywell guys for it.
                            This morning I was woken up at 6am with my main bedroom temp set to 35 degrees, boiler firing, HR92 wide open. The schedule was 21 deg at 8am! That seems to be a serious issue !?
                            This was a known bug in 19.31, fixed in 19.33. BTW it was largely a cosmetic bug because the set point would only be high during the optimal start period, and if optimal start had its estimated start time correct the zone would not actually go over temperature as the set point would go back to normal at the scheduled time when optimal start would end. My kitchen zone behaved like this (going to 30C during morning warm up during optimal start) but never actually overshot.

I haven't seen this issue since I updated to 19.33 so that is also fixed.
                            There seems to be a bug with the HW control. The Evohome does not warm up the stored hot water; when the CH and HW are set to ON. HW tank is at full temp (55 deg), then a bath is run; and the stored HW temp now drops low (ie 18 degrees). Wait for hours, but the HW won't come on unless i manually turn off the CH.
                            That is also a known bug in the 19.31 Beta - if you have any zone set to a manual override where the set point is increased it will prevent hot water being reheated until that manual override is cancelled or the zone stops calling for heat. It drove me crazy during the early beta testing. The good news is this is also fixed in 19.33.
                            I've looked at my SW version at it's 02.00.19.31. Do I accidentally have beta software?
                            Yes, 19.31 is a beta, and a few people who didn't ask for it seem to have accidentally received it - did you ever sign up to do beta testing in years past ? Downgrading to the previous version would require you to reconfigure your controller from scratch (not fun) however you can upgrade to 19.33.

While still a beta, I've found the 19.33 release excellent with only one minor problem which is that manual overrides made when the Eco/Boost function is active have the Eco/Boost offset added on top of the manual override you request, which is pretty weird, however apart from that it's a good solid release.

I would PM ally153 and ask if he can manually push the 19.33 update to your device. Let him know you somehow received the 19.31 beta without asking for it. 19.33 will fix all the issues you've pointed out but you'll still maintain the new features that these releases have and you won't have to reconfigure your system.
                            Last edited by DBMandrake; 23 October 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• pnharrison
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Oct 2020

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                              You must be on the first beta version 19.31 then...
                              ... While still a beta, I've found the 19.33 release excellent
                              Thanks for the quick reply; that explains a lot.
                              I don't think I signed up to Beta in the past; but I'll be pleased to move onto 19.33 from your description. I'll PM as you suggested.

As an aside, the newer Evohome software/controller does seem greatly improved; much better at maintaining target temperatures by balancing the flow through radiators.

Comment

• Somebody
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by frankmalia View Post
                                Alexa Method

“Alexa make my Living Room 21 degrees for 1 hour”

https://ensupport.getconnected.honey...language=en_US
                                Nope.
                                Currently you cannot set a time schedule to the commands. Zone commands to evohome Wi-Fi and Single Zone Thermostat will operate until the next schedule. For example, you cannot say “Alexa make my Bathroom 21 degrees for 1 hour”

Comment

Working...
                                X