Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome firmware 02.00.19.31 Beta Trial - Exclusive for Automated Home Members

Automated Home Jr Member

I’m seeing a similar thing in one room only. Set point gets set to 35 during heat up then resets once the set point time is reached. Doesn’t happen every time but has at least 3 times now. Have reset the hr92 in the offending room to see if that helps... will report back.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the Minion View Post
    In a previous life I came from the boiler industry and have been used to setting the pump to run constantly in opentherm or otc systems. The HR92 stay open when the boiler is off and my logic is this allows the heat that may have be left standing in a pipe run to be distributed evenly within the house and the water comes down to a nice steady return temperature ready for the next burner on cycle. I have no actual evidence which is better mind, just a gut feeling.
    I would agree with you on this one, i've been thinking for a while to wire some timer into the MV for heating to hold it open after been energised - allowing for the heat to the rads rather than the bypass circuit. Unfortunately as I said my MV closes so that heat from the over run is wasted as such.

Automated Home Sr Member Andy the Minion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Don't think we've got any chance of getting that
    I'm definitely not arguing against this one, it's a very good idea. I have however seen blood drain from the faces of software engineers when they describe the effect on the state engine that is running Evo. I think it's a case of "You want to get where? Oh well you shouldn't start from here". Next gen, it's on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Ideally the outside temp used would be a 'feels like' temperature, as that includes wind chill (which chills houses as much as it chills people). Much better than just using a normal 'weather station' type value.
    It is prepared for this, and some more.... cloud issues, grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Yes but with OT theres a demand, so the pump is pumping somewhere - on a TPI cycle the BDR91 unlatches and closes the Heating MV and therefore it's just pumping round the bypass. So all the useable heat is just going round the bypass circuit.
    Yep true that overruled the HR92 is open statement, I'm not a big fan of on/off valves unless they are completely necessary (I know, sometimes they are)

Yep true that overruled the HR92 is open statement, I'm not a big fan of on/off valves unless they are completely necessary (I know, sometimes they are)
    Oh actually in tpi control there is still a demand just as in opentherm, the burner just happens to be off

Automated Home Legend

In a previous life I came from the boiler industry and have been used to setting the pump to run constantly in opentherm or otc systems. The HR92 stay open when the boiler is off and my logic is this allows the heat that may have be left standing in a pipe run to be distributed evenly within the house and the water comes down to a nice steady return temperature ready for the next burner on cycle. I have no actual evidence which is better mind, just a gut feeling.
    This is exactly my thinking as well. If the pump keeps stopping every few minutes hot water sits losing heat in pipework without reaching the radiators, especially with a low TPI duty cycle where the one or two minutes on time might not even be enough for the slug of hot water to reach some radiators. Continous flow through the radiators while the boiler flame cycles on and off gives a more even distribution of heat around the system.

It also helps prevent kettling in the boiler heat exchanger as it's not forcing the entire flow to go through the ABV every few minutes. (Removing the boilers heatsink in the process)

However to make this work properly on a system like mine with a heating zone valve (and address the issue mtmcgavock raises about the heating zone valve closing) I have a nice little wiring hack for my heating zone valve that I've been using for the last couple of years:

In short, if the hot water relay is on, (hot water reheat) the heating zone valve follows the on/off status of the heating relay.

However when the hot water relay is off the heating zone valve will ignore the heating relay and stay on so long as the pump is running. (Even during overrun)

This allows water to continue circulating continuously through radiators throughout the TPI cycle except when there is a hot water reheat in progress which might otherwise cause the radiators to go over temperature. When a hot water reheat is in progress the heating zone valve will follow normal TPI control to reduce heat transfer to the radiators.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 3rd April 2020 at 07:36 PM.

Automated Home Guru

Steve, The others are commenting on the process of adding the service company for diagnostics, rather than requesting the firmware. The second is completely optional.
    Thanks Andy I was just concerned that the selection may have an impact on parameters and be part of the remote install.

Automated Home Legend

Years ago, @DBMandrake came up with the brilliant idea to have the CH Valve open with the pump, rather than be controlled by Evohome. Best mod I made. It allows the CH Valve to open and close and hence not seize but more importantly it circulates the heat through the loop in pump over run mode. it also takes care of boiler frost protection too. I love the idea, so simple and effective.

Automated Home Guru

It is prepared for this, and some more.... cloud issues, grrrr
    Andy - sounds intriguing, can you elucidate? is there more to this algorithm than just what the temperature reads on the controller?