• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Stevedh View Post
    I had to switch off advanced load scaling a couple of days ago.
    It had got a little bit cool in the evening so wanted to warm the bathroom up a little. 20 minutes later the boiler still hadn't fired up and I was being hassled about why the radiator was still cold.
    The demand was showing 100% for the bathroom and 18% for the boiler.
    Switching off advanced load scaling set boiler to 100% and allowed the radiator to heat up.
    Maybe there should be some sort of temporary override to get around the odd occurrence of wanting to heat up a single room at this time of the year.
    Same problem here with my bathroom radiator and I raised this issue with Andy further up thread...

I had to drop down load scaling from full to partial because I was completely unable to get the bathroom radiator to turn the boiler on if it was the only active zone. (100% heat demand from the zone, 5% heat demand to the boiler - less than the minimum 11% threshold before the boiler will fire!)

Partial load scaling helped quite a bit as it reduced the amount of scaling (but still gave enough scaling to minimise overshoots - the main purpose of load scaling) however I still sometimes struggle to get any heat from my bathroom radiator if it is the only active zone. Typically it will only generate about 20% heat demand to the boiler for 100% from the zone.

This will eventually heat up the radiator but it takes about half an hour, and doesn't get fully hot, versus the "towels nice and hot in a few minutes" that I would like to see. Like you I have had to explain to my other half why the radiator she turned on 20 minutes ago is still cold, and have had to manually turn off load scaling to work around it in a couple of occasions.

As I mentioned to Andy further up the thread the load scaling needs some kind of limit to how far it will scale the heat demand. Scaling a 100% heat demand down to 5% when it takes a minimum of 11% to even fire the boiler at all is just rediculous.

I don't care what the underlying rationale or logic is, any non technical user who turns up their bathroom to 25C with an ambient reported temperature of 20C and 30 minutes later still has a cold radiator and boiler not firing is going to think their system is malfunctioning. End of story.

Load scaling is a good idea but the heuristically learnt scaling factor needs to have a limit of about 4 to 1, eg 100% demand scaled down no lower than 25%, otherwise I think I will ultimately have to disable it. Minimising overshoots is not worth having radiators simply fail to heat up when they should.

Originally posted by frankmalia View Post
    Can you not just increase setpoint to get it to kick manually. I think the load scaling seams to work quite well, less overshoots early on in the year when heating was on all the time. Was it not a combination of load scaling and warm weather shut down. Because the warm weather shutdown has to drop below setpoint about 1'C to allow zone to heat up.
    No, increasing the set point doesn't help when load scaling is over eager. You can set the temperature to 30C and the radiator still won't heat up as the scaled heat demand can be <11%. Definitely a flawed implementation of a good idea.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

For once I am happy I have OT and dodged this Load Scaling bullet. It would have driven me nuts because I work from home and most days have only a single radiator on in the study, which happens to also be the coldest room in the house.

Comment

• Scubajoe
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Nov 2018

I've just turned off advanced load scaling, couldn't get any heat from the kitchen radiator and the weather here is terrible.

Comment

• frankmalia
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Apr 2019

Set mine to partial the other day from full, same issue.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by frankmalia View Post
            Set mine to partial the other day from full, same issue.
            Mine has been on partial for a few weeks now too. It certainly helps a lot, (vs full) however I'm still sometimes unable to get heat from a single zone (usually the bathroom) when other zones have no heat demand.

It's also very unpredictable and doesn't seem to correlate with the outdoor weather report. Sometimes the bathroom radiator works normal(ish) other times it can be turned up high for 30 minutes without the boiler even firing once as the heat demand is being scaled down below 11% and is thus insufficient to exceed the minimum on time for the boiler relay.

I still keep it enabled though (on partial) because it does a really good job of avoiding overshoots and regulating zone temperatures more smoothly. Hopefully Honeywell can tweak the algorithm to avoid the "no heat" scenarios the testers here are reporting but without losing the advantages it offers.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 29 June 2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• philchillbill
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2017

I notice @AndyTheMinion's last post was May 1st, so more than 2 months ago. Is he following jzwack's AWOL path of a few years back?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
                I notice @AndyTheMinion's last post was May 1st, so more than 2 months ago. Is he following jzwack's AWOL path of a few years back?
                Lets hope we're not all stuck on this buggy beta release indefinitely. I had kind of expected the beta period to be over a month or more ago...

Given how infrequent the stable releases are for this device (years between releases) we could be stuck with it for a long time if this experimental beta release doesn't lead to a public release for whatever reason.
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 11 July 2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

These days, unfortunately, I find myself asking this a lot...."Are you guys still in business"?.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                    These days, unfortunately, I find myself asking this a lot...."Are you guys still in business"?.
                    Sorry guys, I'm still here but the project development is taking a lot of my time. Everything is either off site or scattered and taking more time and effort than it should and I am running 12+ hour days to keep up so I havnt been checking the forum like I should. Rest assured there is something comming very shortly.
                    Regards
                    AtM
                    Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Ah, good to know that you're alive and well and the project is continuing. Looking forward to whatever the something is.

Comment

• Swiftnesses
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jul 2020

+1 on an update - beta's perform best when working through small iterations with customers, we're here and ready to test.

Comment

• Andehh
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Oct 2015

Thanks very much for coming back to us Andy!

FWIW, as we progress through selling & moving house I have spent the last few days research alternatives to Evohome over concerns it is falling behind the competition. Knowing that it is still being supported encourages me to reconsider giving up on it when we do eventually find our next house!

Comment

• guyank
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Sep 2015

Andy,

There was discussion in another thread about whether outside temperature passed over OpenTherm by the boiler was now being accepted by Evohome. I have just had an Intergas EcoRF 36 fitted during our extension build and have added the external temperature sensor. I moved from the BDR91 to the OpenTherm bridge and that all works fine, but having just fitted the temperature sensor, I don't see any evidence of the temperature being passed. I have tried disconnecting the controller from the WIFI network and the outside temperature just disappears as its no longer being received from the internet. The resistance of the sensor reads correctly when I measure it and there are no errors appearing on the boiler. Can you confirm if this is now supported?

Thanks

Guyan

Comment

• kevinsmart
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by guyank View Post
                              Andy,

There was discussion in another thread about whether outside temperature passed over OpenTherm by the boiler was now being accepted by Evohome. I have just had an Intergas EcoRF 36 fitted during our extension build and have added the external temperature sensor. I moved from the BDR91 to the OpenTherm bridge and that all works fine, but having just fitted the temperature sensor, I don't see any evidence of the temperature being passed. I have tried disconnecting the controller from the WIFI network and the outside temperature just disappears as its no longer being received from the internet. The resistance of the sensor reads correctly when I measure it and there are no errors appearing on the boiler. Can you confirm if this is now supported?

Thanks

Guyan
                              Definitely doesn’t work with the Beta firmware. I hope it is fixed in the release because the Internet read temperature can be several degrees out.

Comment

• guyank
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
                                Definitely doesn’t work with the Beta firmware. I hope it is fixed in the release because the Internet read temperature can be several degrees out.
                                I was also under the impression that it would allow Evohome to reduce the requested flow temperature at higher outside temperatures, greatly reducing the chance of overshoots. We have a couple of zones that seem to drop below setpoint by a couple of degrees, even when it’s pretty warm. Up until a couple of days ago when I gave up and turned the heating off, this would result in huge overshoots as 80C flow was being demanded just before we got up.

Comment

Working...
                                X