Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2016

No I'm not on the beta firmware.
    It's happened four or five times to me.

Comment

• petep
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2018

I've had to disable load scaling again (This time from partial)

The Lounge will not reach its setpoint.
      Despite a 49% demand for this zone and some demand for other zones the boiler demand is 3%

I've attached a shot of the System Summary with load scaling enabled together with the System Parameters.
      Then I've attached a System Summary after Load Scaling is disabled.

@Atm Is there any obvious reason why this is affecting me in this way?
      Attached Files

Comment

• petep
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2018

There was another zone on the second screen that only required 2%

Comment

• simonh29
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by simonh29 View Post
          Yes. Or sometimes I've noticed the actuators open but the boiler doesn't run. Just seems like it does a lot of "fuzzy" logic, that is messing around too much. Sometimes even when it is a couple of degrees off the setpoint it can switch off the pumps and actuators for 5 minutes (which really doesn't help anything). With a pretty well setup flow rate it doesn't need to modulate things as much as it seem to try.

An example this evening. Temperature setpoint 21C. Room nicely constant at that temperature. Wife says she's abit cold so I knock it up to 23C. UFH pump activated and actuators open. 5-10 minutes later they switch off. I look on the Evohome and it says the UFH demand is 49% (presumably why it is cycling the pump and actuators). That's just nonsense as UFH doesn't respond to a 2C increase in room temperature by cycling on/off every 5-10 minutes!

I've been monitoring things via Domoticz and the RGI80. I think the UFH control and the Evohome are almost like two separate things. Basically, the UFH is a TPI controller and so the room will be set to 30% and switch on/off to achieve that. The OpenTherm boiler will then be set to say a level and that will do it's own thing, sometime it even gets switched to 10% or so which turns off the boiler altogether while the floor controller is still on/off at a certain interval. Sometimes, it will fire the boiler at 100% which is silly considering it is UFH and doesn't need such high temperature delivering to the mixing valve on the manifold.

I'm not sure what knowledge the Evohome has of the UFH control. It seems to treat it more like you would a radiator valve with hot water rather than a long slow warm water device. I don't know why it doesn't have any UFH Water Temperature setting where it could act more wisely in understanding how high to fire the boiler when the UFH is the only thing calling for heat, and it also seems to drop the UFH manifold % far too low too quickly when a bigger 2C heat requirement is needed.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

It is for all these reasons that I didn't bother with the UFH controller, besides the fact that in my case the entire manifold is serving one large generally open plan area. The real benefit would have been lower flow temperatures for UFH but that doesn't appear to be the case. But I'm not entirely happy with the BDR91 running the UFH either because of its inbuilt TPI functionality that I cannot turn off.

Comment

• oxygen
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2018

Is the Cold Weather setting avaiable to all (I mean, also for those with an OT relay, not a basic BDR91 ?)
              I think I don't have it on my settings screen.

Also, as for the other features I would love to see:
              On the System Summary, I think having the list of devices linked to the room would be usefull.
              Right now, it is impossible to know how many HR or Thermostats are linked to a room. This makes troubleshooting the installation a bit complex.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Cold Weather and Warm Shutdown are available but Load Scaling is not available for OT.

Comment

• simonh29
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                  It is for all these reasons that I didn't bother with the UFH controller, besides the fact that in my case the entire manifold is serving one large generally open plan area. The real benefit would have been lower flow temperatures for UFH but that doesn't appear to be the case. But I'm not entirely happy with the BDR91 running the UFH either because of its inbuilt TPI functionality that I cannot turn off.
                  Yeah. The UFH controller is just multiple BDR91's in a single box Shame the Evohome doesn't seem to have more intelligence on controlling the UFH zone and boiler temperature via OpenTherm. I suspect that the heritage of the Evohome and codebase is so old that's why we don't get simple updates and fixes to some of these issues and the boiler maximum heat control for radiators. Everything needs so much testing in case something gets broken. Happens all the time with legacy software unfortunately The rest of the market such as Nest while having the software expertise seem to lack the domain expertise to create a full system.

Comment

• Mid112
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • May 2019

Im not exactly what / why but there is something not right with heating since a time change.

I keep my livingroom at 18C at night usually, i schedules 19c from 6.30am but room never gets to 19 even after 7.30am with rad slightly warm.

So i put 19c from 6am with preheat function max 1hr (forgot the name of the feature) and the situation hasnt improved. Still 18c at 7.30 with barley warm heater.

When i increase a temp by 0.5c the rads get instantly hot.

For some reason (since the time change unless its a coincidence) the room doesnt heat up properly.

Any clues?

Comment

• petep
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Jan 2018

Load balancing? With checking the system summary of it happens again. (Long press settings)

Comment

• Mid112
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • May 2019

The heaters were at around 40% if i remember correctly, surely if after an hour evo cannot heat up a room the load should increase.

It appears to be waking up/increasing a load after manully adding 0.5c

Comment

• spence189
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Nov 2020

As others have reported, the Dynamic Room Scaling certainly seems to behave strangely in some rooms for me. My living room and kitchen are similar sizes and similarly insulated. My living room is always at the set point at the allotted time, however the kitchen is usually 1-2c cooler than the setpoint with no obvious attempt by the system to be heating it.

One thing I wondered was if I might have my HR92's incorrectly configured and somehow the system thought they should be in a position to heat the room however they aren't actually letting any water through. They are essentially as they were out of the box and I've installed them as per the instructions so hopefully it's nothing to do with them. And even then some rooms are happy where other's aren't.

The only other thing is that the room that it most affected by this is using the Evotouch controller as the thermostat, just in case that makes a difference. I guess I could set it to use the HR92 as the temp source instead and see if that helps....

Does anyone know if this is being worked on? Are there any further beta updates planned to resolve this? Is there any useful info I can provide to help further.

Cheers
                          Spence

Comment

• Mid112
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • May 2019

Indeed something not right here.

Ive mentioned that some time ago that some hr92 (when they are opened to 30/40) *dont get enough heat. But i think the latest fw improved this issue.

There is alot of variables for evohome to consider and i managed to improve the experience by adjusting boiler min flow, pump modulation etc as they were too low to heat up rad correctly.

Comment

• oxygen
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by spence189 View Post
                              One thing I wondered was if I might have my HR92's incorrectly configured and somehow the system thought they should be in a position to heat the room however they aren't actually letting any water through. They are essentially as they were out of the box and I've installed them as per the instructions so hopefully it's nothing to do with them. And even then some rooms are happy where other's aren't.

The only other thing is that the room that it most affected by this is using the Evotouch controller as the thermostat, just in case that makes a difference. I guess I could set it to use the HR92 as the temp source instead and see if that helps....

Does anyone know if this is being worked on? Are there any further beta updates planned to resolve this? Is there any useful info I can provide to help further.

Cheers
                              Spence
                              Have you tried to remove the HR, and re-install it, so for the HR to re-do a valve cycle check ?
                              Also, are the valves of the same model ? You may want to check if the HR are set at the same "resistance" for the valve management by the motor.

You can check the % set during the heating of the zones, to confirm if they open the flow at the same level or not.
                              If they do and each radiator has not the same temp, it may mean that the valve is not configured/detected correctly.

Comment

• petep
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mid112 View Post
                                The heaters were at around 40% if i remember correctly, surely if after an hour evo cannot heat up a room the load should increase.

It appears to be waking up/increasing a load after manully adding 0.5c
                                Did you actually look at the System Summary screen (via a long press on Settings) on the controller and check what the boiler demand is compared to the room demand.

I've seen 50% demand in a room (and other rooms at lower levels) and the boiler demand is only 3%
                                Haven't seen this since I disabled Load Scaling.

I've prompted @Atm for a comment a couple of times with no response.

Comment

Working...
                                X