Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: EvoHome Beta 02.00.19.31 - HW Priority Setting

Automated Home Jr Member

So I have an evohome for my Mum's system, and she has set her times to the exact points when she wants heat and hot water. She's on full S-Plan and her cylinder is quite slow, even being a fairly new Telford 300L unvented.

Given that there is often overlap with a lot of schedules with regards to Hot Water and Heating, would it be an idea to introduce better logic around the hot water so that it actually heats water a lot earlier than the schedule, so as to change to heating mode in the correct time, as I think it'd be better to actually monitor how quickly a cylinder loses temp and when hot water 'events' happen, as most people tend to take showers and baths at pretty predictable times (give or take an hour or so).

Also, given how CS92 can get a bit unreliable, and given how cheap temperature probes are, I think it'd be a great idea to introduce a new version that:

1. Is water proof and can be used as an outdoor sensor if need be
    2. Has multiple temperature probe terminals, as a lot of cylinders have more than one pocket, and thus can guess where the stratification layer 'moves' within the cylinder
    3. Can be made a little more reliable.

This then gives evohome more capability to leverage some better smartness as that of a room zone but at the higher temps of a cylinder.

Automated Home Lurker

Hey guys,

Hope this is the right thread. So I’ve had an evohome for 3 years and loved it. However this beta has really ruined it.
    My system has 12 HR92s and 1 towel radiator doesn’t have one and acts as an apparent bypass (as in it always comes on when the hot water is on)

Now with this new update if any of the hr92s have a manual override to heat a radiator then the hot water doesn’t heat even if the indicator on the main panel or app says it is heating, the water doesn’t heat and stays at 22 degrees. It only turns on if I turn the heating off or close all overrides.

Is this a bug, or a new feature? Is it going to be rectified? It really ruins the whole system for me. What’s the point in being able to adapt the individual temps if it doesn’t allow you to have hot water!

Hope someone can help

Automated Home Legend

I don’t have the beta version, from what I have read I think that may be a blessing, but what you complain about has been much reported on in these pages by many. My understanding is that it’s a fault in the beta version, rectified in the released version whenever that happens. It is a fundamental flaw in the software. Very fundamental as it prevents proper operation. One would normally expect a manufacturer asking people to test its gear to immediately rectify a big issue like this and rush out an updated beta version. Why that has not happened remains a mystery.

Automated Home Legend

Yes a much discussed "known bug", check out the beta firmware thread for more discussion about it.

On the plus side Andy the Minion has already said quite some time ago that the problem is known and already rectified in later internal builds so we can be sure that when we receive another update (either a new beta version or final release - who knows) the problem will be gone, so it's just a matter of being patient until another release comes out, unfortunately.

On the minus side, it's a really, really annoying problem and is the only change in the beta firmware that is causing me significant inconvenience, and to be honest I'm chomping at the bit to get an update, even another beta to address it.

BTW, it's not actually any zone that has a manual override that prevents hot water heating - it's any zone that has a manual override AND has a heat demand. If you use a manual override to reduce a temperature, hot water heating is not delayed, also if you apply an override that is a modest increase once the zone heats up and the heat demand falls (it has to fall to a very low near zero heat demand) then hot water reheat will commence. However if you set a large set point increase that can't be attained heat demand will never drop to a low enough value to allow hot water reheat to commence, so hot water will never reheat, as you describe.

If you read between the lines this is not actually a bug in my opinion, but something that was originally intended as a feature but was later deemed to be a bad idea and removed again. (But unfortunately not until after the beta version we have been provided)
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 10th June 2020 at 09:28 AM.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Yes a much discussed "known bug", check out the beta firmware thread for more discussion about it.

On the plus side Andy the Minion has already said quite some time ago that the problem is known and already rectified in later internal builds so we can be sure that when we receive another update (either a new beta version or final release - who knows) the problem will be gone, so it's just a matter of being patient until another release comes out, unfortunately.

On the minus side, it's a really, really annoying problem and is the only change in the beta firmware that is causing me significant inconvenience, and to be honest I'm chomping at the bit to get an update, even another beta to address it.

BTW, it's not actually any zone that has a manual override that prevents hot water heating - it's any zone that has a manual override AND has a heat demand. If you use a manual override to reduce a temperature, hot water heating is not delayed, also if you apply an override that is a modest increase once the zone heats up and the heat demand falls (it has to fall to a very low near zero heat demand) then hot water reheat will commence. However if you set a large set point increase that can't be attained heat demand will never drop to a low enough value to allow hot water reheat to commence, so hot water will never reheat, as you describe.

If you read between the lines this is not actually a bug in my opinion, but something that was originally intended as a feature but was later deemed to be a bad idea and removed again. (But unfortunately not until after the beta version we have been provided)
    Thanks. Yes, thats exactly what I meant. I did see this on the main beta thread too, but wanted to make sure it was the same issue I was having. First time I was away at work, and wife called me in a panic saying water is not heating up. from the app it was saying it was on but the temp just wasn't shifting. Took ages to work out what was happening! I wasn't clear from the main thread whether this was going to be fixed or whether this was a "new way it was to work" as in my case it renders the whole thing pointless if you cant get hot water when you need it. (without shutting everything else down!)

I was so flabbergasted by it, i went out of the beta (through the app), which seemed to reverse the software on my main evohome (the screen went back to the old one) and everything went back to normal, but then reupdated itself a few weeks later!

Am hoping for some sort of update to fix it for us.....lucky enough now its the summer its less of an issue as the radiators are usually off or the actual room temp is above my setpoint.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Automated Home Legend

The one thing I am definitely missing is the ability to just spin the HR knob and for the heating in that zone to magically come on, even though the Heating at the control panel has been turned OFF.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Niktheguru View Post
    I was so flabbergasted by it, i went out of the beta (through the app), which seemed to reverse the software on my main evohome (the screen went back to the old one) and everything went back to normal, but then reupdated itself a few weeks later!
    How did you use the App to revert your firmware ? I haven't seen or heard any way to do that...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The one thing I am definitely missing is the ability to just spin the HR knob and for the heating in that zone to magically come on, even though the Heating at the control panel has been turned OFF.
    To be fair, the old way where turning up an HR92 manually in heating off mode still worked (but didn't show anything on the controller) was always a bug or oversight.

A lot of people were unhappy with Heating Off not truly meaning heating off, (lots of complaints about it on the forum when people discovered the hard way it worked like this) and I think the way they've implemented it now (within the constraints of the fixed HR92 firmware and rf comms protocols) is actually pretty good. (Apart from it not periodically re-sending the heating off set points to HR92's which I think it should do)

Unfortunately those that relied on the old hack will just have to find a different way to do it - for me I'm using the Custom action for my summer "heating off but I might want to turn one radiator on manually occasionally" situations. One advantage of this is you can see the override on the controller and also make the override from the controller or phone which wasn't possible with the old heating off hack.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 10th June 2020 at 07:39 PM.

Automated Home Guru

I actually agree with the new behavior on this now being the right one. If I centrally set my heating to be Off, it should stay Off. If it is On, but set really low, then a zone should be able to override the temperature and it be displayed centrally.

Roy.

Automated Home Legend

I too agree. I just miss the bug :-) Infact I got into RF comms monitoring because this bug drove me mad. Why was my boiler firing when Heating was set to OFF.