• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sh4d0w
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2020

Smart Control Help

Hello to everybody taking the time to read this post.

I will start by introducing myself, I'm Martin from Stockport and I'm here today with a question I'd like to get some opinions on if I may…

Given the current climate with smart technology, I feel it time I dive in myself. Currently I have a Vaillant boiler with Vaillant controls and outdoor weather compensator, however the outdoor weather compensator has become faulty. So rather than replacing this at a substantial cost of £220 pounds. I would rather invest the money in new controls.

I am lost in the world of different brands and versions of heating controls. I think I have narrowed it down to Honeywell EvoHome, GeniusHub or Drayton Wiser. Excluded Heatmiser due to the need of a manifold or actuators.

Hopefully, somebody here can give me direction if I share what I have now.

ecoTEC Plus 624
    VRC 470F Wireless Stat – Downstairs Zone
    VR81 Remote Stat – Upstairs Zone
    Albion 210 Hot water store with temperature probe running straight to the boiler, Electric stat is currently not wired up.
    3 Honeywell zone valves all hard wired into my VR61, Upstairs Circuit, Downstairs Circuit and Hot Water. (will become 4 when UFH goes in)

I understand that my 470 offers true weather compensation and has better modulation for the most part BUT, the outdoor unit has failed and needs to be replaced.

*Whats the issue*

We live in a fairly large house with a total of 8 rooms and 9 Rads downstairs and 7 Rooms and 8 Rads upstairs. some of our rooms are unoccupied for weeks at a time or used very sporadically and without turning off the TRVs we have no control and feel its just a waste and other rooms heat up much faster than others creating some real hot and cold spots in the house - we did have everything balanced too. We also have no control via phone or any "smart" features.

*What i would like*

in an ideal world i would like a solution that can help save us some money and only heat the rooms we want at the times we want, so i am drawn to the EvoHome straight away, i know i would loose certain "key" things from my 470 but i believe the benefits of modern system will outweigh the loss ?; I would like to control the 3 zone valves as is to avoid any pipework modification and i would like to control thermostatically the hot water tank rather than it be a case of on/off, i dont believe the evo home can do that? we are about to embark on an extension project that will see the installation of a 3 zone single room underfloor heating system so will need to be able to control wet UFH.

Can anyone please help me try and decide on what to do here?

I also know that Vaillant are to bring out their new Senso stats but I suspect they will lack the power of the aftermarket units BUT will be propriety for my boiler which me be advantageous given that the vaillant boiler is not opentherm and only manageable through eBus.
  • sh4d0w
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2020

perhaps i should have asked a different question then.

Who has an EvoHome system - what are your thoughts?

Who has A Drayton Wiser system - what are your thoughts?

Who has A GeniusHub system - what are your thoughts?

Comment

• mtmcgavock
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sh4d0w View Post
      perhaps i should have asked a different question then.

Who has an EvoHome system - what are your thoughts?

Who has A Drayton Wiser system - what are your thoughts?

Who has A GeniusHub system - what are your thoughts?
      Think you'll find the majority have Evohome on here. There's the odd one with Drayton Wiser. Think the majority came to the same conclusion of that Evohome was the better system, or had it before any other system was on the market.

You are right Vaillant are doing their own new Senso controls which look rather smart. They are also integrating these with their own radiator controllers too.

On another note - your high limit stat should be still wired in on the Unvented cylinder, even with the Vaillant controls.

Comment

• frankmalia
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Apr 2019

The Evohome only does 12 zones, so you would want 7 zones for upstairs radiators(6x1TRV + 1x2TRV).. That means your downstairs can only have 5 zones max for your 9 radiators. So if that works the EVOHOME is the way forward.

Note 1 zone can have multiple radiators.

You can free up zones by having bathrooms and shower rooms permanently on, so they always come on with other zones, good for towel radiators.

Frank
        Last edited by frankmalia; 8 June 2020, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• kevinsmart
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Sep 2018

I have Evohome controlling 26 rads, UFH and DHW. Managed to map to 12 zones fairly sensibly.

Comment

Working...
          X