• Show
Clear All
  • sh4d0w
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2020

Evohome Installation help

Hello all,

I hope everyone is well?

So, with great thanks to this forum I have today taken delivery of my Evohome kit:
    Evohome Controller
    Table Top Stand
    2x BDR91's
    Hot Water Kit with sensor
    8x HR92
    8x HR91

My current heating system is made up of:
    Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 624 System.
    VR81 on the landing UPSTAIRS
    VR61 in landing cupboard
    VRC 470F DOWNSTAIRS
    Albion 210 Hot water store with temperature probe running straight to the boiler. GAS ONLY, the Electric heating element is not connected.
    3 Honeywell zone valves all hard wired into my VR61.
    230V = Mains in from fused spur feed back out VIA 5 core flex to boiler 2 core (grey and black) feed from BUS
    LP/ZP = DHW Cylinder Honeywell Zone Valve
    HK1-P = Heating Zone 1 (Down S) Honeywell Zone Valve
    HK2-P = Heating Zone 2 (Up S) Honeywell Zone Valve
    BUS = VR81, RF Receiver from outdoor weather comp / 470F & two cores to boiler

I will be hooking up all 12 Zones with 2 rooms having two rads and DHW, currently no UFH is needed.

So i am now stuck at the first hurdle, where do i even start... I thought it was going to be pretty straight forward by all accounts. My Brother is Gas safe reg and will check my boiler once i have completed and all wiring is in place (however i am an ex spark)

I am fully aware that OpenTherm is not an option and i dont want to get the VR33 to make it so.

This was my understanding:
    1) remove eBus cables and connect to BDR91
    2) DHW 2port valve to be removed from VR62 and connected to BDR91
    3) Manually override / lock open Up and Down 2 port valves
    4) Setup and live happily ever after.

But i have much more going on here and im lost.

Can anyone please help me out? - before anyone suggests i get in a "Professional" to do this work, i have tried, 3 heating engineers, 1 didnt even know what modulation was and the other 2 had less of a clue on Evohome than me.

Many thanks to all.
  • sh4d0w
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2020

I could summaries with,
    has anyone fitted Evohome to an Ecotec 6 series boiler with DHW and two heating circuits and is willing to share your wiring ?

Comment

• mtmcgavock
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sh4d0w View Post
      I could summaries with,
      has anyone fitted Evohome to an Ecotec 6 series boiler with DHW and two heating circuits and is willing to share your wiring ?
      Yes I have, however i'm just on my way out and need to sit down and read your full post and think about things. So i'll reply sometime in the near future. Unless you've worked it out?

Comment

• sh4d0w
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2020

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
        Yes I have, however i'm just on my way out and need to sit down and read your full post and think about things. So i'll reply sometime in the near future. Unless you've worked it out?
        Thank you ever so much, very kind of you.

I have been told conflicting information from Honeywell Technical, one said i can use eBus one said i cant.

Where i am now is this...

BDR91 at boiler, L&N in, L bridge to A, B to RT230, i threw the towl in for the day and got on the beers ; What i am told is that once this is in and i press the button on the BDR my boiler should then fire, however that doesnt happen, the green light comes on but my boiler does not change, not right away anyhow, however iver not taken anything else out the boxes other than this one BDR.

From what i understand about the rest is that my two CH zone valves need to be manually locked open and my DHW needs to wired up a bit diffrent in that the temp probe inside my cycliner pocket OR strapped to the pipe, this stat wires into the relay box and then the BDR is the same in that L&N, L to A but B to relay box COMMON and then relay box to B.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2017

Thank you ever so much, very kind of you.

I have been told conflicting information from Honeywell Technical, one said i can use eBus one said i cant.

Where i am now is this...

BDR91 at boiler, L&N in, L bridge to A, B to RT230, i threw the towl in for the day and got on the beers ; What i am told is that once this is in and i press the button on the BDR my boiler should then fire, however that doesnt happen, the green light comes on but my boiler does not change, not right away anyhow, however iver not taken anything else out the boxes other than this one BDR.

From what i understand about the rest is that my two CH zone valves need to be manually locked open and my DHW needs to wired up a bit diffrent in that the temp probe inside my cycliner pocket OR strapped to the pipe, this stat wires into the relay box and then the BDR is the same in that L&N, L to A but B to relay box COMMON and then relay box to B.
          You can't use eBus with Evohome only the S/L on RT230v.

Firstly you'll have to remove all the Vaillant Controls, so remove the eBus wiring and the wireless receiver for the 470f out the front of the boiler (If it was pushed in the front)

You will need to remove the link in 24v also as that's probably been left in if it was using the eBus link.

BDR91 - you will need 3 in total (One for Boiler Relay, One for the two zone valves, and one for HW). Locking your motorised valves open will only leave them half open and not fully. You need to either remove them or wire them in, if you don't want to purchase another BDR91 then you could wire them into the boiler relay so they just open when there's a demand. However on doing this any rads that don't have HR92s on will heat on a HW demand.

HW - You need to use the probe in the cylinder stat pocket. However it is essential you wire the High Limit stat in on the cylinder in series with the HW BDR91. So L & N to HW BDR91. L to A, B to high limit stat com, High Limit stat NC to Brown MV wire.

Comment

• sh4d0w
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jun 2020

You can't use eBus with Evohome only the S/L on RT230v.
            Thank you buddy, i got this bit :-)

Firstly you'll have to remove all the Vaillant Controls, so remove the eBus wiring and the wireless receiver for the 470f out the front of the boiler (If it was pushed in the front).
            I did remove the Bus connector but did not remove the receiver from the front when i tested last night, will give it another go with that removed, again, thank you

You will need to remove the link in 24v also as that's probably been left in if it was using the eBus link.
            Do you mean the bridge between both connections on the white 24V =RT plug, ill add images below.

BDR91 - you will need 3 in total (One for Boiler Relay, One for the two zone valves, and one for HW). Locking your motorised valves open will only leave them half open and not fully. You need to either remove them or wire them in, if you don't want to purchase another BDR91 then you could wire them into the boiler relay so they just open when there's a demand. However on doing this any rads that don't have HR92s on will heat on a HW demand.
            Thank you again, This is where things get confusing - EvoHomeShop and Honeywell Technical both say i dont need 3 but the internet says i do, i therefore took the advice of suppliers to go with just two, there was no mention of the valves being half open though. With this in mind and to avoid another expense i would like to try and get it working without the 3rd BDR, IF it all works as planned then i will remove the two CH 2 port valves from my plan. the only rads NOT controlled by HR91/92s will be my two towel rads so i am happy for them to heat on any call for heat.
            How would i wire these into the boiler relay?

HW - You need to use the probe in the cylinder stat pocket. However it is essential you wire the High Limit stat in on the cylinder in series with the HW BDR91. So L & N to HW BDR91. L to A, B to high limit stat com, High Limit stat NC to Brown MV wire.
            I thank you again for this information, i may need to revert back to you once i get to this point, if that is ok?

I cant thank you enough for this help, honestly. I have spent ages trying to find posts online for an S Plan Plus with an EcoTech boiler and EvoHome and i just cant get the answers i need. If i get stuck would you be willing to give me a call to run things by you? happy to pay you for your time or donate funds to a charity of your choice.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

• mtmcgavock
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2017

I did remove the Bus connector but did not remove the receiver from the front when i tested last night, will give it another go with that removed, again, thank you
              With the receiver still in the front the boiler will listen to that before anything else.

Do you mean the bridge between both connections on the white 24V =RT plug, ill add images below.
              Yeah on the 24v connector on the board, remove the link.

Thank you again, This is where things get confusing - EvoHomeShop and Honeywell Technical both say i dont need 3 but the internet says i do, i therefore took the advice of suppliers to go with just two, there was no mention of the valves being half open though. With this in mind and to avoid another expense i would like to try and get it working without the 3rd BDR, IF it all works as planned then i will remove the two CH 2 port valves from my plan. the only rads NOT controlled by HR91/92s will be my two towel rads so i am happy for them to heat on any call for heat.
              How would i wire these into the boiler relay?

Wire the brown wires from the heating motorised valves into the B port on the Boiler relay. That way they will open whenever there is a boiler relay demand.

I thank you again for this information, i may need to revert back to you once i get to this point, if that is ok?
              Yes just let me know.

I cant thank you enough for this help, honestly. I have spent ages trying to find posts online for an S Plan Plus with an EcoTech boiler and EvoHome and i just cant get the answers i need. If i get stuck would you be willing to give me a call to run things by you? happy to pay you for your time or donate funds to a charity of your choice.
              TBH it's as easy just explaining things on here, just stick a message up and i'll help best I can.

Comment

• sh4d0w
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jun 2020

Thank you once again.
                not had a pop at it today, been in a foul mood (self inflicted... i was all set to buy a new fishtank this morning then i bottled it and ever since been in a mood, oops), fishing tomorrow so i will have a bash tomorrow night.

Can i just confirm then, please...
                2020_06_13_22_24_00_Blank_Diagram_Lucidchart.jpg
                This is my layout, every rad in the house bar two Towel rads will have HR91/2's,

boiler.jpg
                So here i am removing the 470F wireless controller receiver from the front of my boiler, removing both 24V RT and BUS. I am taking 230V RT to BOILER BDR91 B and two cables FROM B to brown on UP and DOWN 2 Port Valves.

gfg.jpg
                Here i am going to remove the VR61 by taking the L/N/E from the fused spur to disable power to the VR61, remove all valve cables from LP/ZP, HK1 & HK2 - VR61 is deadddddeed now. Brown Wires from CH Valves to Boiler B, i guess N & E can be joined to mains from spur?

If i am not mistaken this has taken care of CH and DHW remains. ?
                Last edited by sh4d0w; 13 June 2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• sh4d0w
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jun 2020

So the DHW:
                  HW - You need to use the probe in the cylinder stat pocket - the current stat on my tank needs to be removed and the new EvoHome stat goes into the pocket?
                  However it is essential you wire the High Limit stat in - What is this? forgive me, it might be simple as looking, the kit is in the garage and i have not yet opened the DHW Kit to look over it.
                  on the cylinder in series with the HW BDR91. So L & N to HW BDR91. - this can be taken from my mains fused spur?
                  L to A - same as Boiler BDR, just a bridge?
                  B to high limit stat com, - B OUT of BDR to the Wireless box High Limit Common?
                  High Limit stat NC to Brown MV wire. - Please can you clear this up for me buddy?

and if i have got anytihng else a miss.

Many thanks

Martin

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Mar 2017

Thank you once again.
                    not had a pop at it today, been in a foul mood (self inflicted... i was all set to buy a new fishtank this morning then i bottled it and ever since been in a mood, oops), fishing tomorrow so i will have a bash tomorrow night.

Can i just confirm then, please...
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1556[/ATTACH]
                    This is my layout, every rad in the house bar two Towel rads will have HR91/2's,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1558[/ATTACH]
                    So here i am removing the 470F wireless controller receiver from the front of my boiler, removing both 24V RT and BUS. I am taking 230V RT to BOILER BDR91 B and two cables FROM B to brown on UP and DOWN 2 Port Valves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1559[/ATTACH]
                    Here i am going to remove the VR61 by taking the L/N/E from the fused spur to disable power to the VR61, remove all valve cables from LP/ZP, HK1 & HK2 - VR61 is deadddddeed now. Brown Wires from CH Valves to Boiler B, i guess N & E can be joined to mains from spur?

If i am not mistaken this has taken care of CH and DHW remains. ?
                    First attachment isn't working.

Second diagram is correct.

Yes, N and E from Zone valves can go to Fuse Spur. Orange and Grey wires can be left disconnected.

DHW to sort then.

Comment

• sh4d0w
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jun 2020

Thanks buddy!

First attachment is now corrected.

Comment

• sh4d0w
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jun 2020

Also, you may not have seen my other reply? Just before you posted.

Good night

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Mar 2017

So the DHW:
                          HW - You need to use the probe in the cylinder stat pocket - the current stat on my tank needs to be removed and the new EvoHome stat goes into the pocket?
                          However it is essential you wire the High Limit stat in - What is this? forgive me, it might be simple as looking, the kit is in the garage and i have not yet opened the DHW Kit to look over it.
                          on the cylinder in series with the HW BDR91. So L & N to HW BDR91. - this can be taken from my mains fused spur?
                          L to A - same as Boiler BDR, just a bridge?
                          B to high limit stat com, - B OUT of BDR to the Wireless box High Limit Common?
                          High Limit stat NC to Brown MV wire. - Please can you clear this up for me buddy?

and if i have got anytihng else a miss.

Many thanks

Martin
                          No the existing cylinder stat must stay in place as this is a Dual stat. High limit and a cylinder stat. If the cylinder stat was to fail then the high limit stat would click in cutting the power to the Zone valve closing it. This has to be then manually reset on the cylinder before it would work again - it's one of the main fail safe devices on an unvented cylinder.

Unless i've misunderstood you and you've got a thermal store rather than a Unvented Cylinder?

Picture of the cylinder and stat would be useful.

Comment

• sh4d0w
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jun 2020

Got ya,
                            Up until this evening i didnt really know much about the engineering and control of the cylinders, still dont really.

I have A Kingspan Albion UltraSteel 210Ltr Unvented Indirect cylinder:
                            210 litre Indirect Kingspan Albion Ultrasteel Unvented Cylinder - AUI210ERP (AUI210) Ultrasteel cylinders deliver high flow rates and mains pressure hot water (regulated up to 3 bar) for powerful showers and the fast filling of baths or sinks, making...

IMG_3567.jpg
                            IMG_3602.jpg
                            jkjj.jpg

It has a Codice – Dual Combined High Limit Thermostat & Control
                            Codice - Dual Combined High Limit Thermostat & Control 542794 compatible with a huge range of hot water cylinders.

Kingspan part number - STATDUALALTP
                            IMG_3605.jpg
                            IMG_3571.jpg

Comment

• sh4d0w
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2020

Read post before this first.

IMG_3606.jpg

The cover has never been on this device since it was installed and the immersion has never been wired up either - is this something i need to do / have done? will it help things?
                              IMG_3604.jpg

So i suspect i have a copper pocket that my aforementioned stat sits inside i have not traced the white cable coming from the DHW Stat just yet, do i need too? i THINK it goes directly to my Boiler and connects here:
                              g.jpg
                              the chocblock

With all this in mind, i am ever so slightly lost now so any help will be received with great appreciation.

Comment

Working...
                              X