Thread: Evohome setup to incorporate a thermal store unit

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Evohome setup to incorporate a thermal store unit

Hi, I have an existing thermal store system, and I'm in the process of adding Evohome controls. My plumbing knowledge is next to nil!!
    I can't get my elderly head around what and how Evohome is going to have to control with this thermal store system. All the instructions deal with either combi or conventional systems! The thermal store takes mains pressure water in through a coil and directly out to the taps. The water around the coil is kept at around 70 - 80 o from what I've read. The central heating water comes from this surrounding water I take it?
    I'd appreciate any help or advice.
    cheers!!
    Dafydd

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
    Hi, I have an existing thermal store system, and I'm in the process of adding Evohome controls. My plumbing knowledge is next to nil!!
    I can't get my elderly head around what and how Evohome is going to have to control with this thermal store system. All the instructions deal with either combi or conventional systems! The thermal store takes mains pressure water in through a coil and directly out to the taps. The water around the coil is kept at around 70 - 80 o from what I've read. The central heating water comes from this surrounding water I take it?
    I'd appreciate any help or advice.
    cheers!!
    Dafydd
    Simple answer is Evohome won't work with Thermal Stores.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Not true according to other posts on this forum if you do a search.

Automated Home Ninja

You can make it work of a basic fashion but not how it should, and tbh wonít be very efficient.

Arenít you thinking of Unvented cylinders? As which thereís a difference between a thermal store and Stored Hot Water.

Automated Home Sr Member

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Whilst I've not got Evohome, I've got Drayton Wiser, I'm sure the principle is the same. I have a thermal store (fed by biomass which Drayton Wiser does not officially support) and my Wiser system simply switches my circulation pump on and off using the same 'wall mounted thermostat' wires that were there before I got a smart system. I have 2 heating zones with about 5 TRVs on each and a separate DHW circuit which runs independently of the Wiser system.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I have a thermal store but it's on the DHW feel to my combi, rather than on the heating side. It mops up solar export and means that I use no/less gas when having a shower or a bath.

I don't let Evohome anywhere near it! ;-)