Thread: Network Watchdog without an MFP?

Automated Home Guru cliffwright's Avatar

Default Network Watchdog without an MFP?

This may be a dumb question, but to date - I've not actually set up / relied upon Reflex at all, but I want to get something setup "In case".

Skimming the Help pages ... It seems to state that you can only setup a System watchdog on an MFP - is this true? (I don't have any MFP's on my setup).

Without it, if my PC hangs / crashes or is otherwise unavailable, would Idranet not fall back to Reflex control?

Cheers

Cliff

This is a somewhat legacy part of the documentation. The watchdog would normally be implemented within the IPD (IPS) module because this has the ability to perform a hard power reset to all the network and hence more reliable way to ensure a clean start into Reflex mode. I believe it is a default behaviour set up, but if unsure then you can first check the behaviour menu for the timer sub-object of the IPS object and make sure that 'Use Delta Timer 2 as PC watchdog' is enabled. If it isn't then you shuld enable it and save the database file. You will need to restart the network for the change to take effect. Typically the IPD will reset the network after missing 3 or 4 polls from Cortex.

If you don't have an IPD(IPS) module serving your network then the method using the timer on an MFP or DFP (same timer setup) could be used. With a bit of reflex wizardry and a spare relay module you could also create something which performed the more sure hard power reset to the network, but that's for another discussion.

Resetting the power to the network is of course only the first step. You need to have programmed some Reflexes into the various modules in order for these to become active after such a reset. Cortex has a utility which helps to create some basic ones for you automatically e.g by inference from your database to create Reflexes which allow buttons to toggle lights and to set up some basic heating. Obviously each system is different and some can be wildly complex hence no attempt to re-create automation even if it could be achieved within Reflex. So anything beyond that will be a matter of manual programming.

OK .. so with no IPS or MFP, I need to manually power cycle the Idranet to get reflexes to kick in?

Power cycle is just the most reliable way to ensure all modules are reset (since a faulting module might be in some state of not responding to network commands), otherwise a network level broadcast reset command is next possibility but something has to issue such a command. If you want it done based on some automatic watchdog method then you will need a module which has some kind of timer with a Reflex capability. IPD, MPD and DFP modules have the ones supported naturally by Cortex, however some cruder timers exist in other modules which could be coaxed into providing such a function after some suitable Cortex and Reflex programming.

It is also possible to command a module to enable its Reflex operation without a reset - even whilst Cortex is running the network - but inadvisable to do so in the latter case as then some output states could be changed without Cortex being aware which would cause a mess in the automation. So a number of possibilities but which require manual programming so somewhat tedious to set up. I will look to see if I already have or can set up an example of using a cruder timer on one of the small modules but you may have to be a bit patient as I have a high work load at the moment

I have in fact found a document providing an example of how to set up a watchdog using an LTH module (which could similarly be used for a PLH or LTS module). I've uploaded this to our guidelines page, link here:
    http://www.idratek.com/public/docs/g...le%20timer.pdf

Thanks. Will take a look at this over the weekend.