• Show
Clear All
  • daniel@paynefamily.co.uk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2020

New Install Help

Hi

Looking for a bit of help...

I've just finished converting my S Plan+ system to EvoHome, but I'm having problems with the radiator values not switching the CH BDR91 value. The boiler fires (controlled by the Opentherm Bridge) but the CH zone value remains closed? The BDR91 controlling the CH value works fine when tested manually.

For background:

Boiler controlled via Opentherm, switched live discounted. This appears to work fine. EvoHome configured for Opentherm Boiler control
    Ground Floor, and 1st Floor CH valves linked together. Testing the attached BDR91 manually the valves on/close as expected.
    EvoHome hot water kit connected. Setup configured as a 2/3 port valve, with both HW and CH values binded. This appears to work fine. When hot water is needed the HW valve opens etc...
    14 HR91 valves attached to radiators
    For testing purposes 1 radiator valve zone configured and binded to 1 of the HR91. Testing, this calls for heat, boiler comes on, however the CH valve doesn't open (green light remains off).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I assumed that when a HR91 called for heat, it would open the CH valve setup during the Stored Hot Water setup?

Many thanks
    Dan
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Yes, the CH valve should open when there is heat demand, although keep in mind that it uses TPI cycling, so if the heat demand is small the CH relay will only open for a proportion of every 10 minute period.

However if you turn up the set point at least 2 degrees above the measured temperature the heat demand will be 100% and the CH valve should be open continously - if not, something is wrong. Keep in mind that set point changes made at the controller can take up to 4 minutes to take effect. For testing purposes you're better to make the override at the HR92, which will take effect in under 30 seconds.

I would be inclined to go through the binding process for the relays again, as something must not have been done quite right.

So go to stored hot water, set it to None, then back out, this will remove the relay bindings at the controller end. Then on all the BDR91's hold down the button for >15 seconds until there is a rapid blink to ensure all bindings are cleared on the relays to make sure there aren't any double bindings.

Then go to stored hot water and proceed to bind everything again. Presumably you have two BDR91's - one for the hot water valve, and one that is shared for both your heating zone valves. In that case you want to choose two, two port valves (CH and HW) as the configuration.

Comment

Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2020

Thanks, I should have said I’ve been through and reset the bindings several times, however it’s a good point regarding testing with 100% heat request. I’ll give this a go...

Comment

Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2020

All working. Just wasn’t waiting long enough as suggested. Thanks.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by daniel@paynefamily.co.uk View Post
          All working. Just wasn’t waiting long enough as suggested. Thanks.

A point to remember is always bind the hot water side first before all the HR92s. A number miss this point and then find things don’t work. I did 6 years ago!

Comment

Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2020

That also explains a few things. The first time I binded the hot water side as a hot water valve only, calling it Hot Water config rather confused me!

Comment

Working...
            X