Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome/HR92 battery notification

Automated Home Sr Member

I understand that other people would like and benefit from push notifications and/or email alert. I was just saying that they would not be my choice. I know you don’t have to have apps in use to get push notifications and fine for those who like them. I have most notifications disabled because I find them irritating. I also find lots of emails irritating but of the two I would prefer them as I choose when to check my email. For me sticky notifications on the display would work best but each to their own. I am only expressing my preference and not suggesting others should agree.

Automated Home Legend

This is why I coded the Fault Log notifications in Domoticz. Then the user can decide what they want to do with it. Not having notifications (push or emails) for errors that only show up on the Controller screen is so primitive. In fact the way Faults alerts are raised and then cleared on the controller, could actually mean that you might never even see them because on a Restore, the message disappears from the front screen, with no indication that a Fault had occurred....until one day you decide to have a look at the Fault log.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    This is why I coded the Fault Log notifications in Domoticz. Then the user can decide what they want to do with it. Not having notifications (push or emails) for errors that only show up on the Controller screen is so primitive. In fact the way Faults alerts are raised and then cleared on the controller, could actually mean that you might never even see them because on a Restore, the message disappears from the front screen, with no indication that a Fault had occurred....until one day you decide to have a look at the Fault log.
    My “client’s” specification is very clear. Keep It Simple Stupid. I have enough problems justifying the benefit of our current tech without adding Domoticz into the equation

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Notifications are brilliant - the vast majority of people use them on their devices without any problems.

I don’t think one person not liking them is a valid reason not to have them for important things like this. Most of my other battery powered IoT kit gives me alerts when the batteries need changing.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Notifications are brilliant - the vast majority of people use them on their devices without any problems.

I don’t think one person not liking them is a valid reason not to have them for important things like this. Most of my other battery powered IoT kit gives me alerts when the batteries need changing.
    I am not saying there should not be app notifications, I can easily choose not to enable them. I was just suggesting that making fault “notifications” on the controller act the same as on a phone and stay until acknowledged.