• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2016

Evohome Controller Lockup

My Evohome controller locked up yesterday at 17:08.
    The clock had stopped and there was zero heat demand on the radiators even though the rooms were below the set points.
    I had to disconnect the batteries to get it going but the clock did not set itself to the right time.
    The unit was not connecting to the WiFi and I had to disable the WiFi on the controller and set it up again before it would connect.
    It seems that the batteries are making an intermittent connection with the terminals but as the controller sits on the cradle all the time I don't think that would cause a problem.
    I thought I would remove the batteries and clean the terminals but it is almost impossible to get them out (unless I am missing something obvious).
    One battery is almost covered over and you can't get at it.
    I didn't have time to continue so I just put it back on the cradle and all seems to be well.
    Has anyone else had a problem and how do you remove the batteries?
  • CT1
    Automated Home Guru
    • Apr 2016

If you look back in the forum you can see that battery management and unreliable contacts are a well documented weakness of EvoHome. For what is an expensive product, aimed at the high end of the market, it is a major disappointment. I usually find I have to prise the first battery out with a small screwdriver inserted between the batteries, a process that inevitably results in some damage to the battery. It is also recommended to occasionally disconnect the batteries by inserting something between them, as one of the ways to force proper charging. Unfortunately I find the batteries fit so tightly that this requires a thin rigged piece of plastic, which is a bit of an oxymoron.

Unfortunately correcting the hardware would require us all to buy a new system.
    Last edited by CT1; 27 August 2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Marty
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2016

Thanks CT1.
      It seems then that there is no way of removing the batteries without causing damage to them.

Comment

• CT1
        Automated Home Guru
        • Apr 2016

The next time I have to remove the batteries, I plan to loop a small piece of ribbon or something similar under the battery so that (hopefully) I can just pull it out.

Comment

• Marty
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2016

Good idea 💡

Comment

Working...
          X