• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bazza
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2004

LM12U control of 2 x 60W lights

Hi,

I have a question about the LM12U modules, the description on letsautomate.com states that they should only be used to control a lamp. Does this mean that I can't therefore use it to control any other lights?
    I've just bought a couple of globe lights from B&Q for the garden, what I'd like to do it wire them both to the same LM12U module. But I have a few questions:-

1) Can I wire both to the module to both be switched when the module is turned on? Is this effectively switching 2 x 60W = 120W (LM12U can handle 300W)?

2) What is the best way to wire the 2 lamps together, series, parallel i.e.

L=Lamp, M=LM12U

Series:

L------L------M-------Mains

Parallel:

L-----+------M-------Mains
    L-----|

3) I know that probably either of the above would work okay, however, which one is safe/legal?

4) As the LM12U modules can DIM, would the above lights equally DIM if the module where operated?

5) The LM12U modules can switch 300W, does this mean that I could effectively wire 5 lights to the same LM12U module, i.e. 5 x 60W = 300W

I know there are quite a few questions here, but any answers would be much appreciated.

Bazza.
  • LetsAutomate
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2004

Re: LM12U control of 2 x 60W lights

LM12U's are only designed to be used with incandescent (normal filament) bulbs - their operation with any other types of bulb isn't guaranteed but taking the other points you have queried...

1) Yes, it will handle a 120w load (two x 60w fittings).

2) You *MUST* wire the two bulbs in parallel otherwise they will each only see 240/2 = 120v across them and won't light properly.

3) See 2)

4) Yes they should.

5) Yes - as long as the load doesn't exceed 300w.

Phil

Comment

• Bazza
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2004

Phil, as ever, you are the fountain of all HA knowledge.
      This has cleared up a number of reservations that I had with some of these modules. Many thanks for you quick response, I'll be placing the order before the end of the week

Barry.

Comment

• LetsAutomate
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bazza
        Phil, as ever, you are the fountain of all HA knowledge.
        Hmmm ... I've been called many things in my time but ...

8O

Phil

Comment

• Bazza
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2004

OK, now that I've ironed out some of the unknowns, I'm now thinking of using a LD11 DIN mounted Lamp Module instead. The wiring should be simple enough, however, my query is on the DIN Rail Enclosure. Do I need to use one? Bearing in mind that all of my wiring is boxed in anyway, are they required for legal/safety reasons? Or can I just mount it on a piece of MDF or ChipBoard?

Comment

• LetsAutomate
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Mar 2004

You'll need a DIN rail to mount the LD11 on anyway as that is how it fixes ... there are no screw holes for screwing the unit to anything moulded in the LD11's housing.

I would suggest housing the LD11 in a DIN enclosure simply for safetys sake as the LD11 does have screw terminals which *COULD* be accessible to stray fingers.

Phil

Comment

• Bazza
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Mar 2004

Sounds like good practice. Cheers Phil.

Comment

Working...
              X