Thread: Kat5/TIVO and other questions

Default Kat5/TIVO and other questions

OK so I've read the stuff here and on the Kat5 site but I still have a few questions.

I'm interested in using a Kat5 pair to drive a remote plasma screen from my TIVO (the TIVO also drives a 'local' TV). I'm currently using a pair of AIE digisenders and the quality is iffy and I'm getting increasing interference problems

AFAIK, the TIVO outputs RGB so I would need to buy an RGB/SVideo convertor. Correct?

I'd also need to buy some kind of SCART splitter. Correct?

Can I drive multiple I/R output leds from the Kat5? SWMBO likes to use the SKY remote in preference to the TIVO one. 8O

Is the I/R input mounted on the Kat5 receiver or is it on a trailing lead? (I'd like to hide the receiving Kat5 behind the plasma as it's on a 'clean' wall mount and have the I/R reciever 'LED' poking round the side).

Finally, and one that you may care to ignore how does the Kat5 compare with the seemingly similar offerings from Keene?

Ta.

Default Re: Kat5/TIVO and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I'm interested in using a Kat5 pair to drive a remote plasma screen from my TIVO (the TIVO also drives a 'local' TV).

AFAIK, the TIVO outputs RGB so I would need to buy an RGB/SVideo convertor. Correct?
    Correct. The JS techology one is highly recommended by all who use it (me included)
    http://www.js-technology.com/

I'd also need to buy some kind of SCART splitter. Correct?
    Not if you use the JS technology converter as it also has RGB pass through so can still drive your TV.

Can I drive multiple I/R output leds from the Kat5? SWMBO likes to use the SKY remote in preference to the TIVO one. 8O
    KAT5 should work fine using a dual emitter but I would not recommend a dual "blink" emitter as you are then trying to drive 4 LEDs

Is the I/R input mounted on the Kat5 receiver or is it on a trailing lead? (I'd like to hide the receiving Kat5 behind the plasma as it's on a 'clean' wall mount and have the I/R reciever 'LED' poking round the side).
    Both IR receiver and emitter are on flying leads so the KAT5 units can be out of sight behind the equipment.

Finally, and one that you may care to ignore how does the Kat5 compare with the seemingly similar offerings from Keene?
    Not a case of ignoring, more one of not being able to answer as I have no experience of the Keene modules.

All I can say is that there are an awful lot of people who are very happy using KAT5

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv