Thread: Keeping the Zone Valve BDR91 open longer for UFH

Automated Home Legend

Default Keeping the Zone Valve BDR91 open longer for UFH

I have my UFH configured as a Zone Valve and I use a BDR91 as my actuator. The BDR91 opens a motorised zone valve, which in turn starts the UFH pump.
    I don't have a Boiler Relay because I use OpenTherm. I still have no idea if the System Parameters will affect my BDR91 Zone Valve or that is only meant for the Boiler Relay.
    It would have been better if I could switch off the TPI for this BDR91, but I can't.
    Hence I would like to keep that BDR91 switched ON for as long as possible each time it is switched on by TPI. The reason being, my UFH pump is an adaptive pump and ramps up slowly on power on. So each time the TPI cycle kicks in, it goes through its start up routine.
    Cycle Rate is 3 per hour with a Min On Time of 1 min. What do I set this to, to keep the BDR91 ON for longer?

Automated Home Ninja

I used to have a setup like yours but upgraded to an HM80 mixer valve, which is far superior for single zones, eliminating the overshoots I saw with the BDR91. It doesn’t use TPI but learns the appropriate flow temperature setting.

The system parameter for Cycle Rate does impact BDR91 TPI behaviour but if I recall correctly Min On Time does not.

With my system I initially had a Cycle Rate of 3. Although this means a longer ON time it also of course results in a longer OFF time too at partial demand. I found a Cycle Rate of 6 to perform better.

My pump can be set to adaptive but the manufacturer’s recommendation for UFH is constant speed mode.

Automated Home Legend

My UFH uses a GRUNDFOS UPM3 AUTO L and just reading the manual it appears that for almost 5 years I've not realised that my installer has forgotten to change the default setting of the pump from Proportinate Pressure to Constant Pressure! I seem to have 3 options of Constant pressure curves. Any idea how to decide which one I should use?

Automated Home Legend

Also, am I to use Constant Pressure or Constant Speed in an UFH installation?

Automated Home Ninja

Constant Pressure, probably with the minimum curve setting/speed required to achieve your designed manifold flow rate.

Automated Home Legend

Anyone know where I can buy the HM80. These guys don't seem to want to respond to my enquiries.
    https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/mixed-c...ontroller.html

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy the HM80. These guys don't seem to want to respond to my enquiries.
    https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/mixed-c...ontroller.html
    That’s where I got mine but I had to wait a while, as production was moving to a new factory. It was worth it though, but the EvoHome shop don’t have much experience of it, so couldn’t provide much support. I can help you there though.

There were a few suppliers in Europe where it is more commonly used, but they also appear to be out of stock too.

It’s actually manufactured in Scotland now, it could be production was put on hold due to Covid, as I heard PPE was being manufactured there.